New babies, one doing well, one not so much

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonMcK

5 Year Member
I posted yesterday about my new Leopard baby Tonka and by a strange twist of events, I'm now keeping his clutch mate as well. I've had them about 1.5 days now and Tonka is doing well, eating and takes an occasional spin around their enclosure. The 2nd baby, yet to be named is smaller, sleeping constantly and even when he seems to be awake, he does not open his eyes. I've soaked them twice since getting them and when I do, the little guy will rub water over his eyes in an effort to open them. Once open, they are small slits and not like Tonka's at all. Do I have a problem? They are in a temporary tub with the temp at 92-94 and humidity at about 35. I'm misting them a couple times a day in addition to their soak. There is a Exo Terra Solar Glo 125W lamp over them.

Any suggestions welcome to help this little one

M

Maggie Cummings

I would get some Terramycin eye ointment and start putting it in his eyes 3 times a day. Yes, I believe you do have a problem and I would separate them at once. I would start soaking the smaller one in warm water with strained carrots in it. Baby food. I would soak twice a day and also offer him tort salad cut up small every morning. Start a routine, first the warm baby food soak, then offer him tort salad cut up small for him. Then put the ointment in his eyes. Do the ointment 3 times a day, do the baby food soak again in the evening and offer him tort salad again. I believe if he is just normally sick this will make him better. If he doesn't eat or have his eyes opened in 2 weeks you'll need to go to the Vet. I hope this has helped. I know the baby food soaks really do work miracles...

Ambient temp needs to be about 85 degrees, basking temp at 95 degrees and the humidity should be about 70%

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California

JasonMcK

5 Year Member
Thanks Maggie.

Is the strained carrots a medical soak or are we hoping he eat some of the carrot?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
125 watts is kind of heavy duty for a tub. How close is the bulb to the substrate? and do you have it pointing straight down?

JasonMcK

5 Year Member
Tom said:
If he is savable

WOW I now understand the seriousness of this. is there graver issues I'm unaware of?

J

emysemys said:
125 watts is kind of heavy duty for a tub. How close is the bulb to the substrate? and do you have it pointing straight down?

Unfortunately yes it is clamped on the side. Tomorrow morning I'm building a proper tortoise table. I will hang the 125W. properly about 18 inches from the top of the table

J

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You might just turn off the UVB temporarily and just go with a regular 100 watt incandescent bulb until you get your table built. The harsh UV light might be contributing to the eye problem.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its impossible to diagnose anything over the internet, but lethargy, lack of appetite, and eyes that don't want to open are sign of serious trouble.

Following Maggie's advice and giving them the best possible environment is about all that can be done. Some make it and some don't. We just want you to have all the info and give it your best try.

There is a lot more that can be said, but it won't help. Doing the above will hopefully get him all fixed up and thriving for you.

M

Maggie Cummings

JasonMcK said:
Tom said:
If he is savable

WOW I now understand the seriousness of this. is there graver issues I'm unaware of?

J

Babies are very fragile and because of how well tortoises hide the symptoms of their illness, they are sick for quite a while before we see it. So by then it is hard to save babies.
Neal is quite good with leopard tortoises so he has some pretty good advice on how to keep and raise baby Leo's. Tom has a million Sulcata babies and their care is similar. My idea of the baby food soak is to get vitamin A into them. It soaks in thru the cloaca or the soft skin under their neck. Basically the mucus membranes and hopefully they will eat some too. I hope this has helped you...

JasonMcK

5 Year Member
Thanks Yvonne.

I'll get carrot baby food tomorrow and put a 100W regular household bulb in the tub tomorrow when I turn the lights on.

He was active and ate a bit yesterday.

Tom said:
Its impossible to diagnose anything over the internet, but lethargy, lack of appetite, and eyes that don't want to open are sign of serious trouble.

Following Maggie's advice and giving them the best possible environment is about all that can be done. Some make it and some don't. We just want you to have all the info and give it your best try.

There is a lot more that can be said, but it won't help. Doing the above will hopefully get him all fixed up and thriving for you.

I understand. I'll do my best to follow the steps.

I'll keep everyone in the loop

Thanks so much for your help

J

maggie3fan said:
JasonMcK said:
Tom said:
If he is savable

J

Babies are very fragile and because of how well tortoises hide the symptoms of their illness, they are sick for quite a while before we see it. So by then it is hard to save babies.
Neal is quite good with leopard tortoises so he has some pretty good advice on how to keep and raise baby Leo's. Tom has a million Sulcata babies and their care is similar. My idea of the baby food soak is to get vitamin A into them. It soaks in thru the cloaca or the soft skin under their neck. Basically the mucus membranes and hopefully they will eat some too. I hope this has helped you...

Thanks so much

Will keep everyone in the loop tomorrow

J

M

Maggie Cummings

JasonMcK said:
Thanks Yvonne.

I'll get carrot baby food tomorrow and put a 100W regular household bulb in the tub tomorrow when I turn the lights on.

He was active and ate a bit yesterday.

Tom said:

I understand. I'll do my best to follow the steps.

I'll keep everyone in the loop

Thanks so much for your help

J

maggie3fan said:
JasonMcK said:
Tom said:
If he is savable

J

Thanks so much

Will keep everyone in the loop tomorrow

J

I didn't mean to make it sound like the baby food soaks were my idea. It was Yvonne who first started those soaks a long time ago...She gets the credit for that little tidbit...

JasonMcK

5 Year Member
Did a morning soak in Carrot baby food and warm water. He/She is quite active and has eyes open a few times but quickly close when I am noticed. There was no scratching at his eyes this morning.
I took out the 150W MV bulb and replaced it with a house hold 60W for now.

After his soak he did eat with his eyes open.

Today I will build a proper enclosure and this will allow me to

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
About this baby... before you got it were they using a coil type UV bulb? This might explain your eye problems...

JasonMcK

5 Year Member
Tom said:
About this baby... before you got it were they using a coil type UV bulb? This might explain your eye problems...

Not sure, the breeder didn't share much info about them, I'm not even sure how old they are but guessing maybe 6 - 8 weeks. They are about 2.5" - 3" long.

"He" seems a bit more awake today, he's moved a few times and his head is constantly moving although his eyes are closed. The humidity in the enclosure is up to about 65% and I'll do another soak soon.

JasonMcK

5 Year Member
Took them both outside today and they seemed to love it! Both perked up and explored quite a bit although we had to soak Dozer for a bit to get his eyes open. Dozer has trouble eating, goes through the motions of biting with lots of head movement but doesn't seem to actually bite and chew much. Any tips? He is smaller than Tonka who has no trouble chowing down on anything. I was thinking about making a smoothie of greens.

Also,we can't find Terramycin here in the Vancouver area, is there something else anyone can suggest?

Here they are on their dinner table,enjoying the sun
jE9Ra.jpg

JasonMcK

5 Year Member
Today Dozzer (the Tort in question) finally figured out how to eat. yesterday he/she went through the motions but didn't close it's mouth tight enough. But today we witnessed actual eating. It was a great sight.

We have been doing twice a day soaking in carrot puree. His/her eyes are getting better, but I'm taking him/her to the vet tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help
J
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOt24BiALMo

VBJunkee

5 Year Member
Goodyear, AZ
Here they are on their dinner table,enjoying the sun
jE9Ra.jpg

[/quote]

This pic made me laugh... but more strangely, made me hungry.
:D

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Glad to hear they are both eating. Very good looking tortoises too.

JasonMcK

5 Year Member
Neal said:
Glad to hear they are both eating. Very good looking tortoises too.

Well, again today Dozer isn't eating, goes through the motions but can't seem to get anything in. He doesn't seem to know how to actually bite, hold and swallow :( He watches Tonka who is an eating machine but doesn't eat himself.

We went to the vet and I think wasted $100 as we've gotten better advice from you guys than we did at the vet. No Terramcyin but we did get something called "Sandoz Eyelube" to use a couple of times a day.

Tonka weighed in at 36g and Dozer is much smaller at 26g. Really worried about losing the little guy.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Hi. Have you tried feeding soaked mazuri? i really think you need to if you havnt. mazuri is a amazing for putting weight on a small baby. and if he bites at the soft mazuri he will deff be getting some down bc he doesnt have to fight to tear it off or fight a little peice of lettuce into his mouth. I would give it a try! also order up some Terramycin just to have around for eye problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.