Is this Correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
I've got (4) sulcatas born 9.2009 and 2.2010 that range from 3.5" to 9.5"...with no adverse environment whatsoever. I think it varies from animal to animal. You should also take into consideration that different ssp grow larger than others.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Definitely an individual component as DeanS said.

My 18" male Ivory is very docile. My ~7" female Ivory is my most assertive sulcata. These two, as well as all of the ones in between this size, get along swimmingly. Inside during the colder months, however, with reduced space compared to the yard, I keep the smallest ones away due to weight/size reasons and the potential for non-violent/unintended physical damage.

As the keeper, it up to you to make the call. I have noticed extreme differences in growth among those which have been kept separately, too, in quite a few species. Keeping them together can result in bullying. It can also make for increased feeding activity and that can enhance growth.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Baoh said:

My 18" male Ivory is very docile. My ~7" female Ivory is my most assertive sulcata. These two, as well as all of the ones in between this size, get along swimmingly. Inside during the colder months, however, with reduced space compared to the yard, I keep the smallest ones away due to weight/size reasons and the potential for non-violent/unintended physical damage.

As the keeper, it up to you to make the call. I have noticed extreme differences in growth among those which have been kept separately, too, in quite a few species. Keeping them together can result in bullying. It can also make for increased feeding activity and that can enhance growth.

Which reminds me...you NEED to post pictures;)

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
DeanS said:
Which reminds me...you NEED to post pictures;)

I have posted some here, but have not taken new ones in some time. I will get around to it...eventually. Heh.

doubletorts

5 Year Member
GeoTerraTestudo said:
doubletorts said:
See I didn't know of any harm of having multiples, just as long as they were the same species, but then again you can only find out so much online. lol I got them when I was 16 so I thought having 2 would be better so they wouldn't get lonely. lol Like I believe I stated earlier, I'm going to build my tortoise table with hopefully a temporary divider. Only problem is, I'm not sure how to. Any ideas?

Remember, most turtle species are solitary. There are a few exceptions: Manouria are gregarious, red foots are pretty social, and pond turtles like to congregate at basking spots. Other than that, though, most turtles prefer to be alone, except when they want to mate. Separating your sulcatas would be good for them - both of them.

As for a tortoise table, these sulcatas are going to outgrow that pretty soon. They're probably each going to need separate pens, or else the run of the whole yard so they can stay out of each other's way.

I know they will soon grow out of it, but unfortunately there are some things you just don't learn on the internet unless you come across people with them, and the keeping the separate part is what you don't learn. I am planning on making a separate table, 2 levels, I'm just having to figure out the best way to do it (framing and the things need for it to be sturdy).

Baoh said:

I'm going to build a tortoise table where they are separated by a wall and gate that I can open (if need be) after I determine if Chevy is just a slow grower or if I need to keep them apart.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
doubletorts said:
I bought my first Sully (Tonka) when he was 2 months old in October of 2009 and bought my second (Chevy) when he was 2 months old in December of 2009. Now I understand they don't all grow at the same rate. However, I have been charting their weights since I got them and whatever weight Tonka was one month, Chevy would be that the next month, both growing equally. But right around the year mark for Tonka, his growth seemed to have sped up while Chevy's weight moved at a slower pace. They have been raised together, fed together, etc. ever since I got them. Now Tonka is almost 3 pounds while Chevy is only 1.4. Tonka's gotten pretty big, but Chevy seems to be staying behind and doesn't put on as much weight as Tonka does from month to month. I've taken them to the vet and he did a stool sample of both and said they look perfect. I felt more confident once hearing that, but I'm starting to second guess myself again. They are both very active, both eat just fine. ..Am I just being paranoid, or is there something I should change?

Do you have any information about the parents of both?

doubletorts

5 Year Member
Tom said:
doubletorts said:
Tom said:
This is why I recommend so strenuously against pairs. This almost always happens. It has happened to me before and I see it all the time. It is just part of pair dynamics. Yes they all grow at different rates, BUT whenever I see pairs one always seems do be doing better than the other on the same routine. If you separate them now, and leave them where the little one cannot see or interact with the bigger one, I bet his growth will quicken to the same pace of his larger "friend".

See I didn't know of any harm of having multiples, just as long as they were the same species, but then again you can only find out so much online. lol I got them when I was 16 so I thought having 2 would be better so they wouldn't get lonely. lol Like I believe I stated earlier, I'm going to build my tortoise table with hopefully a temporary divider. Only problem is, I'm not sure how to. Any ideas?

I feel compelled to elaborate. The "don't do pairs" thing is just my opinion. Some agree while others disagree. In fact there are several who seem to enjoy disagreeing with any thing I have to say. :D We are all just here to learn, try to be helpful, share our individual opinions and hopefully, collectively advance tortoise knowledge. Here is the thread I did on this subject, complete with dissenting opinions. This thread made me laugh a bit as most of the dissenters really ended up mostly agreeing with me on the key points. Key points: Pairs are often a problem. Singles are best in most cases. Usually three or more work better than a pair. This DOES depend on species, meaning some species tend to be more problematic than others in pairs (for example, sulcatas and Russians which tend to be more problematic vs. redfoots and leopards which tend to have fewer problems as pairs, IN GENERAL).

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Pairs#axzz1gLSJcdCp

Thanks. I will read your thread. And no, I understand that like raising children, everyone has different opinions on how to raise their tortoise.

Neal said:
doubletorts said:
I bought my first Sully (Tonka) when he was 2 months old in October of 2009 and bought my second (Chevy) when he was 2 months old in December of 2009. Now I understand they don't all grow at the same rate. However, I have been charting their weights since I got them and whatever weight Tonka was one month, Chevy would be that the next month, both growing equally. But right around the year mark for Tonka, his growth seemed to have sped up while Chevy's weight moved at a slower pace. They have been raised together, fed together, etc. ever since I got them. Now Tonka is almost 3 pounds while Chevy is only 1.4. Tonka's gotten pretty big, but Chevy seems to be staying behind and doesn't put on as much weight as Tonka does from month to month. I've taken them to the vet and he did a stool sample of both and said they look perfect. I felt more confident once hearing that, but I'm starting to second guess myself again. They are both very active, both eat just fine. ..Am I just being paranoid, or is there something I should change?

Do you have any information about the parents of both?

No, I dont. Like I said, I was 16 when I bought them and was just thrilled to have them. But definitely now, had I known any better, I would have found out more about their parents. It's been years so there is no way on contacting them.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I think genetics are going to factor more with growth rates then perhaps bullying would. But, that is just my opinion on the matter. Consider all opinions and do what you think is right in your situation.

doubletorts

5 Year Member
Neal said:
I think genetics are going to factor more with growth rates then perhaps bullying would. But, that is just my opinion on the matter. Consider all opinions and do what you think is right in your situation.

Oh, no I appreciate any and all opinions. Otherwise I wouldn't have posted this thread. I just wanted to hear what others have experienced or think. Either way, I am a woman and we always take opinions and then go with what we think is best ;p . However, I'm not sure if it's bullying because Chevy does eat (I do understand we humans may not be able to notice it) but if it is bullying, I haven't noticed a difference in the smaller tort. I believe it may just be either that they are different sexes (although it is early to tell) or just genetics. We all know that tortoises do not ALL grow at the same exact rate. Like they said earlier, her and her sister grew up in the same conditions, but they aren't the same size. Dogs, cats, turtles, etc. none grow at the same right. I chose turtles due to the fact that I had turtles for years same age and conditions and they never grew at the same rate. ..again, I really do appreciate everyone's thoughts, opinions, experiences and help. :) I will try separating them for a while and see what that does to Chevy's growth rate and I'll go from there :)

Status
Not open for further replies.