New arrival...

Lu_x85

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone might have any advice on settling in new tortoises?

I collect my Redfoot tomorrow. Everything is set up and ready to go but I want to make the settling in period as stress free as possible.

I've read that soaking for a short while in a shallow dish of tepid water helps them to settle, is this advisable? Any other suggestions?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
yes a soak sounds great and then try not to handle the little one very much.

Lu_x85

I'd planned to leave him be for a few days. He's got lots of hidey holes and shelters and lots of live planting so hopefully he'll feel safe.

Thanks

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone might have any advice on settling in new tortoises?

I collect my Redfoot tomorrow. Everything is set up and ready to go but I want to make the settling in period as stress free as possible.

I've read that soaking for a short while in a shallow dish of tepid water helps them to settle, is this advisable? Any other suggestions?

Yep. Soak your tort in warm water daily. Give him/her enough time to settle down: torts do not like change and need time to adapt to it. Your tort must see the sun. What's the weather like back there? And please make sure that water and food is always available in his/her enclosure.

Have you read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread and the RF care sheet? Am sure there's a lot of info there.:D

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
As said above but i'd let him see you bringing the food so he starts to see you as the food god and not a predator.
And all the very best for tomorrow.:)

Lu_x85

Yep. Soak your tort in warm water daily. Give him/her enough time to settle down: torts do not like change and need time to adapt to it. Your tort must see the sun. What's the weather like back there? And please make sure that water and food is always available in his/her enclosure.

Have you read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread and the RF care sheet? Am sure there's a lot of info there.:D

He has an indoor set up with all the correct UV, heat and humidity. Once settled if we have enough sunshine remaining I'll allow him access to an outdoor run for sometime but it's currently fluctuating from warm to wet and stormy! I suspect the weather will go steadily downhill from next week.

I will definitely be bonding with him over foods in the hope that it wins him round.

Thank you all for the tips so far!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
He has an indoor set up with all the correct UV, heat and humidity. Once settled if we have enough sunshine remaining I'll allow him access to an outdoor run for sometime but it's currently fluctuating from warm to wet and stormy! I suspect the weather will go steadily downhill from next week.

I will definitely be bonding with him over foods in the hope that it wins him round.

Thank you all for the tips so far!
Keep us updated please.