New baby......

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtletania

5 Year Member
I've just got a baby elongated.... and she/he loves to sit in the water. Is this normal? How long should I let her/him sit?
Ate during transport, but hasn't eaten since putting into the new habitat.... could this just be settling in time?

Any advice please?

turtletania

5 Year Member
Ok... so Cruiser went into the hide last night... then came out again this morning, went straight back to the water and is sitting in it again.

Is this normal?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Give us a bunch more info. Temps, humidity, substrate, food, type of lighting and heating. Sounds like he is very dehydrated. I would let him soak for at least an hour if he wants. I would also soak him in warm water every day for 20-30 minutes. Just incase he didn't soak himself. He does also need settling in time. I don't know about elongated, but I would be a little worried about why he is soaking so much. Hopefully someone with this species experience will come along soon. Good luck.

Do you know the person you got it from. Someone experienced? Do you know if they soaked them and had water available for them?

turtletania

5 Year Member
Thanks - of course I should have added more info.....doh!.

As for the seller.... he had no water in an enclosure only 2ftx1ft.... with 26 torts (5 species)... SO i am guessing NO he probably has never had a good soaking.

Since my last post he has moved out of the water and had a hardy breakfast on mazuri, mixed with spring mix and sawi manis. He has also tried biting the thermometer/water bowl/hide/rock and just about everything else... which makes me think the only things he has ever SEEN are edible.

We are still settling the environment, but one end has 75d....the other where the basking lamp is gets to 85/90d. the water bowl in the middle. As for humidity I live right on the equator and there is a constant humidity in my 'tort room' or 85.

substrate is a reptile carpet with coconut coir on it down one end... but just the reptile carpet on the other end where we feed him on an upturned tile.

I soak/bath all my torts 20 to 30 minutes every day, so hopefully he will get used to the routine. Takes a few hours cos we do them in groups (but each bathed separately to ensure their systems are working ;-)

Just checked on him now.... he is wandering and exploring... good sign!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sounds like all will be okay. Also i found this, not sure how good this info is, but sounds like your little one. It came form the tortoise trust. Here is the part that sounds like yours. Well the temps are in there too. But the last sentence is your guy.

Daytime environmental temperature should be maintained in the 26 - 30°C region during summer (78 - 86 °F). In winter, daytime temperatures can be reduced to 24 °C (75 °F) . At night, temperatures can be reduced to around 18 °C (65 °F). This tortoise regularly takes snails, slugs and worms in addition to green leafy material, fruit and vegetables. A bathing pool is essential, as Indotestudo elongata is known to drink copiously and likes to sit, half-submerged, for several hours at a time.

So I think s/he's normal

turtletania

5 Year Member
Wow.... thanks for that.
I was doing some research and found that it is also a good idea to have more than one water bowl for them.... one near the heat lamp (so it is warm) and one away from the lamp so it is cooler.... have done this already and Cruiser has already explored and sat in both.

I put some food "near" the water bowl and laughed ... s/he was trying to reach the food WITHOUT getting out... so funny.

turtletania

5 Year Member
LOL..... day two .... well Cruiser loves the new larger water bowl we put in... and seems to almost 'swim' around in it. But will only get out to sit under the heat lamp for a bit, eat, then returns to the water.

Such a character...if the food is in reach -- Cruiser will just reach for it and not leave the water bowl.

Gorgeous.

turtletania

5 Year Member
Day three.....

Cruiser has been out and about last night...dug in the coconut substrate a little, been in both water bowls and had another meal.

Still prefers feeding while sitting in water.... so funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.