New and looking for breed advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinksilver

5 Year Member
Hi there

I am yet to be a tortoise owner. I have been looking and researching many different breeds but am having trouble deciding which is best for me. I am looking for something that will grow to 10-15 inches and not be too heavy to lift. Any suggestions?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: Hi there

Hi tinksilver:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

We’d like to know your name and where you are, but this is NOT mandatory. Its just that we like to get to know our members and by addressing you by your name rather than your username just seems friendlier!

Also, when we know approximately where you are, it helps us design our answers to better fit your problem.

Once we know a little more about you and where you live, we will be better able to tell you what kind (species) of tortoise will fit your lifestyle.

tinksilver

5 Year Member
I there, I am looking to welcome a tort into my home. I am having troubles deciding what breed to get. I am live in Ontario, Canada. I am looking for a tortoise that will grow to be approximately 10-15" and heavy/light enough to lift....so not a Sulcata. :) Any advice would be appreciated please.
Cheers!

tinksilver

5 Year Member
RE: Hi there

Of course. My name is Shannon and I live in Ontario, Canada. I have been the proud owner of all sorts of creatures, furry, scaley and shelled.
I have had an Eastern Box turtle a long time ago and would like to get a tort to add to my wee family.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello Shannon and welcome to the forum...

Im not sure how hard it would be up there but a red or yellow foot tortoise would work, even a cherryhead. I know prices are higher up there for tortoises.

tinksilver

5 Year Member
Thank you everyone. Great advice! I am torn between a smaller tort and a larger fella....such a tough decision and really want to get the right thing. Ugghh...I guess I am probably, like always, over analyzing it. Lol
I'll keep ya posted as to what I get. I really like the Russians or Greeks but their size is a little small I think. The hunt continues!

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum Shannon.

I would suggest a Redfoot or Yellowfoot. I decided to get a new tort last month with the same criteria, except I live in Dallas Texas. I was also given the alternate choise of a Leopard but they get bigger and need outdoor space I dont think you can do (year around).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Have you looked at Hemann's or Russian tortoises? If those are too small, how about a marginated?

tinksilver

5 Year Member
Thanks so much for all of the suggestions. I think the yellow foot may have won. I am just curious as to how fast they typically grow? How many years approximately for full growth?
Cheers for the help.
=D

jkingler

5 Year Member
I have and can vouch for the cuteness of the Marginated, but they may be smaller than you want them to be, and I haven't looked very thoroughly into Yellowfoots (or feet?) just yet. They certainly are some handsome herps, though. Keep us posted on your research and decision making process. :)

tinksilver

5 Year Member
Thank you so much. I keep flipping between the yellow footed tort or a Russian/Greek. Not sure which I am going to build for....uggh. I am terrible with decisions. I would have them all if I had enough space. Lol :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Shannon:

I think that the fact you live in Canada might just be the deciding factor. I understand that tortoises are pretty hard to come by and when you DO find one, it costs an arm and a leg.

tinksilver

5 Year Member
Yes, you are so right with that. Finding a reputable tortoise source is tough, but I have a great pet centre about an hour away from me. I will keep the new family member indoors for winter but in the summer it is quite warm enough for an outdoor enclosure....so now it's the decision time. Ughhhh....so hard...Russian, Greek, yellowfoot....I wish I bought a zoo! Lol
:)

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
i dont know much about any of these types of tortoise... at least not enough to know whats best for your situation... but i will say that from the posts and pictures i have seen here, yellow foot and red foot tortoise seem to have a lot of personality... or maybe its just more people own them so i see more threads for them? keep us posted on what you decide. and when you get your new family member be sure to post pictures. we love pictures!

tinksilver

5 Year Member
Do you know the growth rate of a Yellow footed? How fast they reach full grown?

Status
Not open for further replies.