New here and looking for a captive baby Russian

Kat1975

Hello to everyone.

I don't own a tortoise yet but will be soon. I am getting tons of info about caring for one, I am looking into owning a Russian tortoise. I live in NH and need to find a breeder so I can get a captive breed, I do prefer not to get wild caught.

Does anyone know where I can find a captive breed Russian Tortoise around NH or MA?

Thanks!

Kat

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
They didn't ask for a tortoise . They asked for a breeder . There's some breeders here on the forum that sell them . Look in the for sell or adoption threads on here your sure to find some . Welcome to TFO . Stick around and read up there's alot of good people and information here .

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California, bay area
They didn't ask for a tortoise . They asked for a breeder . There's some breeders here on the forum that sell them . Look in the for sell or adoption threads on here your sure to find some . Welcome to TFO . Stick around and read up there's alot of good people and information here .
oops:confused: i can't believe i did that sorry:oops:

Kat1975

Ok thanks for the info. I am one who researches things to the fullest, I am going to get a 40 gal startup kit and have it all set up before I get a tort. I have also talked with a few people in pet shops who own torts to get extra info. I just don't want a pet shop one cause I was told that most are wild caught so this is why I came on this form to get info about breeders instead.

I understand wanting to know the people who will be buying a tort and making sure it's going to a good home. I can assure anyone that I take care of my pets very well.

Kat

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Welcome to TFO

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome to the forum. Good to have you here and best wishes of getting your first Torts.

Like what Mike said: Stick around and happy reading.

Kat1975

Quick question, can I just use an under tank heat pad instead of a basking lamp for the warm part of the enclosure ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kat, and welcome to the Forum!

We have several members here who raise baby Russians to sell. Take a look through both the 'for sale' section and the 'sold' section to make a note of their usernames so you can contact them to see if they have anything to sell.

It is quite safe to ship a baby, however, the weather has to be good and not cold, so this probably isn't the best time to ship if you can't find someone close to you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is the thing about "research". Everything you read is just some person's opinion. How do you know what to believe or which advice to follow? Its tough.

Here is how I keep them:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

And here is what not to do:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

A 40 will be okay for a tiny hatchling, but bigger would be better. You'll need a 4x8' enclosure as your tortoise gains size. They need room to roam.

I would not use under tank heating pads. You want over head heat to simulate the sun.