Soon to be new owner

Mike13

hi all. Hope everyone is well. I am purchasing a new member of the fam in a short few weeks and was researching different items and came across this site. I am looking forward to seeing everyone's torts and hoping to learn from all of you so that my tort can grow to be a healthy old man/lady.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

What species are you looking at getting?

Mike13

Hello and welcome.

What species are you looking at getting?
Salcata tort. I saw one at a pet shop and after reading some of the comments and your articles I started looking online for a place to purchase. The pet shop didn't have a hide for the tort and makes me question wether they in fact know what they are doing.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Most likely the pet shop is not doing right by the tort. Most don't. Where are you located? Have you checked to see if any one of our members have any for sale either close to you or most will ship. You really want one that is started out well hydrated and raised with high humidity to have the best start possible.

Mike13

Hello and Welcome. Most likely the pet shop is not doing right by the tort. Most don't. Where are you located? Have you checked to see if any one of our members have any for sale either close to you or most will ship. You really want one that is started out well hydrated and raised with high humidity to have the best start possible.
Do you know anyone on here that is trustworthy and sells them? My concern is getting one that hasn't been raised properly.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Do you know anyone on here that is trustworthy and sells them? My concern is getting one that hasn't been raised properly.

Welcome! Check out tortoisesupply.com, the owner Tyler is a member here and that's where I got mine. I also know @Tom just had some hatchlings for sale. Be sure to do all your homework ahead of time, Sulcatas are absolutely great but require a ton of work and they get big so you'll need a big outdoor enclosure eventually. If you're prepared, you'll enjoy your new family member like they should be!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mike, and welcome to the Forum!

I hope you realize that sulcatas get BIG! and don't hibernate????? You will eventually have a 150lb bulldozing monster that you have to keep warm in the winter. That's not going to be easy to do in Pennsylvania.

Mike13

I already have a good game plan on how to tackle that. I have the area for him/her to roam and the area to build housing to keep him in the winter time. Thank you for the heads up.