Status
Not open for further replies.

akablair2001

5 Year Member
I'm a new member from Chicago. I don't have a tortoise yet, I am deciding what kind to get and looking for ideas. I am a 3rd/4th grade teacher who would bring my tort to and from school. I have a huge basement to build a nice pen and could build one for school (not to big). If anyone has a suggestion or advice I would appreciate it.

Ken

Jacob

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Welcome to the forum, have you researched into getting a russian?
They are great 1st Tortoise's..

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! It does seem to be that Russians get picked to be school pets most often. These are just a simple questions, so don't take it wrong, I am just trying to give you more advise, okay. First... why do you want to have a tortoise for a class pet? :tort: When I think basement, my mind flashes to something dark, damp, and sorta cool. What is your basement like? Would this turtle get any outside time? When you say smaller enclosure at school, what size are you thinking? At home enclosure size?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ken:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

slowpoke

5 Year Member
colorado springs, colorado
Welcome ... i too was wondering the same things as Jacqui ... but for a small first tort i would go with a russian , other than out side time too, will you be able to have the proper light set up in both indoor inclosures you will need a, at the smallest a 4'X2' place for the russian tort....

akablair2001

5 Year Member
Jacob said:
Welcome to the forum, have you researched into getting a russian?
They are great 1st Tortoise's..

I have a little. I'm just not sure if I want to get a baby or rescue one. This is a great forums with great support.

akablair2001

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Hi and welcome! It does seem to be that Russians get picked to be school pets most often. These are just a simple questions, so don't take it wrong, I am just trying to give you more advise, okay. First... why do you want to have a tortoise for a class pet? :tort: When I think basement, my mind flashes to something dark, damp, and sorta cool. What is your basement like? Would this turtle get any outside time? When you say smaller enclosure at school, what size are you thinking? At home enclosure size?
Thanks for the response. Not taken wrong at all. My basement has radiant heat in the floors so it is not dark and damp. The tort would get outside time when appropriate, living in Chicago. One reason to have a tort for class pet is that we study animals for a quarter of the school year and we teach responsibility and caring to students on a daily basis. I thought that they are not loud, they need some caring feeding, and they make good reading buddies. The enclosure for school I am not sure of, depends how big it is and what would be required.

akablair2001

5 Year Member
slowpoke said:
Welcome ... i too was wondering the same things as Jacqui ... but for a small first tort i would go with a russian , other than out side time too, will you be able to have the proper light set up in both indoor inclosures you will need a, at the smallest a 4'X2' place for the russian tort....
I definitely can handle the space requirements.
Thanks

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
As to whether to get an adult or a hatchling, seeing how these are children who will be working and handling the animal, my vote would be toward the adult. Babies are cuter that's for sure, but they also are smaller so everything can cause problems with them easier and faster. Adults are more "bullet proof". ;)

akablair2001

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
As to whether to get an adult or a hatchling, seeing how these are children who will be working and handling the animal, my vote would be toward the adult. Babies are cuter that's for sure, but they also are smaller so everything can cause problems with them easier and faster. Adults are more "bullet proof". ;)
Thank you:D

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
Hi! Welcome to the forum :D
Russians are VERY good starter tortoises and are gentle (lol most!)
Greeks are also good too. But i suggest you look into a russian tort :) good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.