Need help (new tortoise-no poop)

von345

I bought two Tortioses at an exhibit I went to on Sunday. One of them has not gone to the bathroom yet ( I soak in warm water everyday ) and he will barely eat anything. When he bites down his jaw does a weird clicking noise. Is this normal? I'm scared

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Make sure you have them set up properly with temps and humidity. Warm soaks 1-2 times a day and water available 24/7 for them to drink. Give them a little time to settle in and get used to you. If he hasn't eaten, there's nothing to poop out. Some take time to settle in. Be sure to feed and walk away. Don't stand over them, that's what the wild monsters that want to eat them do.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I hope they are in separate enclosures. Pairs generally don't do well.

What are your four temps and what equipment are you using to achieve them? UV? Night heat?

Do you know how the baby was started after hatching? Wet routine or dry?

To answer your question, no, the clicking is not normal. I hope we can help discover the issue and fix it.

von345

I am using a power sun in the day and I have a 100W night time light. The lowest at night it has got was 82 and the hottest spot in the day is about 90. They were raised wet and I am trying to keep their enclosure as humid as possible. I live in Louisiana so it already is humid but the average humidity is about 70-80. I do have them housed together in a 20 gallon tank with separate hides but they just like to stay by each other. Even sleep by eachother

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
As Tom mentioned pairs do not do well. You will almost always see one grow and the other not. They do much better alone. If the other one is eating but this one is not, try seperating them. They will need some time to get used to the new place though.