Help (eyes closed, no appetite)

Oshawott20

Location (City and/or State)
houston
I will be purchasing thst light but I am tring to figure out if there is a cheaper light fixture. If I can't find one i will be getting the one you showed me.

Oshawott20

houston
I was unable to find a T5 bulb at my local pet store but they did have T8 bulb. Does anyone know if a T8 is okay for him or not. And that combo of the light and fixture on amazon wont ship for 1 to 2 months so that isn't really an option for me. They do sell T5 bulb at my petco but I could go today because by the time I was able to go to the store it was already closed for the day. Also i got the digital Thermometer/hydrometer and his humidity is at exactly %50 and the coldest spot in his encloser is 81 degrees.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
A T8 bulb is not as good. They don't perform as well as the T5 bulbs. For a couple days, he will be fine without UVB. When you are able, get the T5 at Petco. Don't forget that you need the fixture as well as the bulb itself.

The humidity needs to be above 80%. Have you been able to enclose his setup yet? Once that's done, and you put the flood basking light in, the temp should go up some. 85° would be fine, but never below 80°.

You need to maintain the temp because humidity in a cold enclosure will give him a respiratory infection (RI). You dampen the substrate in his enclosure with water, and mix it up real good with your hands. Just damp...not soggy.

How is the little one doing? Are his eyes opening at all yet? He won't eat until his eyes are open. It usually takes about 3 days after getting rid of that bulb.

Oshawott20

houston
He is still moving around but his eyes are still closed up. I have completely enclosed my setup and hoping I can pick the light up once I wake up. And is there anyway that I can feed him even though he can't eat.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Yes, there is a way to possibly get some nutrition into him.

But I'm hoping that when he can open his eyes he will eat something. If he doesn't eat then, remind me and we'll start.

When you get the T5 bulb and fixture, it should be hung from the bar over the enclosure with the light facing straight down.

Maybe you could take some pictures and post them? We may be able to make suggestions to help you. This is a lot to have to do so suddenly. Hang in there..you're going to get through this! :)

Oshawott20

houston
Thank you for all the help. Once I get everything together ill be sure to send a picture of the set up. I have the encloser up against a wall so I have the lights hanging on the wall facing toward it.