Help! Tortoise poop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. Farris

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oceanside, Ca
Hello. I have a baby russian tortoise I bought about two weeks ago. He is about 2 1/2 inches long, at the most. I have never actually seen him go to the bathroom before, besides when I would put him in his little water dish and the white urine secretions would sometimes come out.

Well today, I picked him up to put him by his food (I had just put out some new stuff) and I heard this little squirt noise, and he just, well, he pooped! It was a tiny amount, just about right for his size, I suppose. But it was green, and fairly runny. Is that normal?

I feel like it should be more firm, and I know its probably from what I feed him (mixed greens- with mineral supplement shaken over the top, grass clippings, and a supplemental pellet food). I would like to give him weeds like he would normally eat but I live in Southern California, there isn't a lot of non-landscaped areas. Plus, I am afraid to pick something to give to him and have it poison him or make him sick.

This is my first time owning any type of non-mammal, as you can probably tell. I have a few tortoise books but none of them discuss things like this. I am so glad I found this site, I was just googling about tortoise poop and it came up! sorry this is so long, and I appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me :)

Upon better searching the tank I found a piece of poop that was the same color but firm, like a pellet. So... maybe I just really scared him when I picked him up? I'm not sure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
1. Your experience sounds normal. They should firm up with time and the right food.
2. What mineral supplement are you using? I like to use a small amount of calcium twice a week and a vitamin supplement once a week. Some use more, some use less. That amount works well for me. It can be overdone, so use caution.
3. What pellet are you using? Most of us like soaked Mazuri or Zoo-Med Grassland Tortoise food and none of the other ones.
4. You are right to be careful with the weeds and what not, but SoCal is full of good weeds. Hopefully you will find some safe places to gather from or grow your own.
5. This forum is FANTASTIC! The combined knowledge and experience here is way better than any book.

Good luck. When do we get pics of your tort and set-up? What's his name?

Mrs. Farris

5 Year Member
Oceanside, Ca
My tortoise is named Squirt, after the baby sea turtle in finding nemo :)

I have his tank all decked out nemo style, with "under the sea" wallpaper and little nemo and dory figurines and everything. Can you tell i'm a girl? haha. I am putting up some pics right now, I'm not familiar enough w/ the site yet to know how people can find or see them, but they will be there!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Welcome to the forum, always glad to have another So Cal member.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
His poop should look like a cigar shape and not runny. Give him a little time and if it does not firm up with the right diet then seek a vet.

LindaF

5 Year Member
LOL I am a new tortoise mom too and obsess about his poop as well. You will know when he has a good healthy poop because you will find him eating it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.