Need help identifying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autumn8504

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
Please help me identify so I know how to proceed with learning about and caring for this creature!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 63

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You have a box turtle, but to verify which type we could use a few more pictures. How did you happen to obtain this fellow?

Autumn8504

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Found him walking outside my parent's house today (Louisiana).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 50

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Autumn8504 said:
Found him walking outside my parent's house today (Louisiana).

It might be best, if you return him to the wild....

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am not suggesting returning him to the wild to be mean or anything. It's just that the wild populations are in serious trouble. Plus they don't always do well being made into captives. My suggestion, if your really wanting a turtle or tortoise after being around this guy, is to rescue one already in captivity and needing a forever home.

Autumn8504

5 Year Member
Louisiana
I think he must have been a pet. It was in a highly populated area, no wildlife around at all. Do you really think he could be wild? I wouldn't have brought him home if I thought he was, but there was a cat after him. He at least needed to be relocated...what do you think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
It's a male 3toed box turtle. Whether not it was a released pet or a relocated wild specimen is darn near impossible to determine. If you do end up keeping it I would suggest an outdoor enclosure above an indoor. But I can tell you from experience male 3toed box turtles in general are escape artist . They need a moist environment preferably with an available water dish and a good play to dig down and hide(cypress mulch). Food should be a good mix of fruit/veggies/worms/grubs/wet dog food/ bread/etc. good luck with whatever you decide.

I just noticed he has four rear toes, he must be in a gulf coast/ 3toed integration area. Very interesting !! What part of Louisiana are you from?

Status
Not open for further replies.