New tortoise caregiver, Need help identifying

sassysuzeee

Location (City and/or State)
Azusa, California
My friend just brought me a tortoise she found. I could use shone help identifying so i can look up care instructions, etc... Any thoughts? Any help appreciated! Thanks!​

Attachments

• CAM00017.jpg
    CAM00017.jpg
    979.8 KB · Views: 58
  • CAM00011.jpg
    CAM00011.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 53
M

Maggie Cummings

Each species needs different care, you need to post a picture...
In Calif, it 'could' be a desert tortoise, an endangered species. First you need to try and find the owner. but we do need a pix to help...

M

Maggie Cummings

Looks like a big 3-toed box turtle to me...but the yellow spots on it's front legs throw me...and I have box turtles. :( I have decided I am going to stop embarrassing myself in public by misidentifying species...Somebody better then me will correct me soon...in the mean time welcome. Seriously tho, try and find it's owner before you decide to keep it. It's Spring, and they are all running away from home looking for a mate...

sassysuzeee

Azusa, California
Thanks, i wilUOTE="maggie3fan, post: 863195, member: 1445"]Looks like a big 3-toed box turtle to me...but the yellow spots on it's front legs throw me...and I have box turtles. :( I have decided I am going to stop embarrassing myself in public by misidentifying species...Somebody better then me will correct me soon...in the mean time welcome. Seriously tho, try and find it's owner before you decide to keep it. It's Spring, and they are all running away from home looking for a mate...[/QUOTE]
will be

sassysuzeee

Azusa, California
Thanks, i wilUOTE="maggie3fan, post: 863195, member: 1445"]Looks like a big 3-toed box turtle to me...but the yellow spots on it's front legs throw me...and I have box turtles. :( I have decided I am going to stop embarrassing myself in public by misidentifying species...Somebody better then me will correct me soon...in the mean time welcome. Seriously tho, try and find it's owner before you decide to keep it. It's Spring, and they are all running away from home looking for a mate...
will be

Thanks, appreciate your reply! Will be looking for owner!

M

Maggie Cummings

I surprised no one has answered you yet...Maybe it's a Gulf Coast box turtle...

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Looks like some kind of box turtle. Show us the plastron, please. Hinge is an indicator.

Where was it found? This is important to see if it's native ... And maybe can be released again ... Or maybe must be kept.

sassysuzeee

Azusa, California
Looks like some kind of box turtle. Show us the plastron, please. Hinge is an indicator.

Where was it found? This is important to see if it's native ... And maybe can be released again ... Or maybe must be kept.
It was found in a condo complex in azusa, CA. I am pretty certain it is a pet, going to put up flyers.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
In the meantime try strawberries, cantaloupe, and other soft very ripe fruit. A substrate like a Forrest floor, slightly damp loam.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a 3-toe box turtle (Terrapene carolina triunguis), and they're not native to California. You can tell by how long the back toe nails are that this is an escaped pet.

Welcome to the Forum!

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
Due to its orange spots on front legs it looks like a very old eastern box turtle. Huge one I might add. The shell has lost a lot of its coloring due to old age or lack of proper care. Looks like it needs a nice warm soak. Put it in a large tub with the food already recommended above by other members. Make a little hide for it put of a shoe box for now. So it feels safe at night. If you don't find it's owner, you will need a better set up for long term care.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, sorry, not an eastern. No matter how old the easterns get they never turn light bone color. That's a 3-toe. (so called because of the three toes on the back feet)

M

Maggie Cummings

It was found in a condo complex in azusa, CA. I am pretty certain it is a pet, going to put up flyers.
But don't describe the animal, just put "found, 3 toed box turtle". That way the real keeper can then describe it to you. Otherwise some creep will try to claim it.