help identifying this tort please

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vegasjoe

need help identifying please

Bought this tortoise today, they called it a black russian tort. Could you please help me identify it, I think its a asian black, maybe galapagos? Thanks, Joe

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
RE: need help identifying please

Can you take a pic from the top, and a pic of the plastron?

Looks like an American desert tortoise of some type. Not an Asian for sure, wrong shape all together. Probably not a Galapagos, do you have any idea how much those are worth, lol? Definitely over $5,000. ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Gopherus sp. Danny will know which one. I don't know what the laws are in NV, but here in CA those are illegal without the proper fish and game permits. Just FYI. Its also very illegal to sell them.

V

Vegasjoe

kyryah said:
Can you take a pic from the top, and a pic of the plastron?

Looks like an American desert tortoise of some type. Not an Asian for sure, wrong shape all together. Probably not a Galapagos, do you have any idea how much those are worth, lol? Definitely over $5,000. ;)

I had deserts once, my profile pic are three deserts, this tort is really dark black it is hard to see in the pic. I see the resemblence though to desert. I have never seen one this black, I hope they didn't paint it to appear black?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It has a very black shell, based on the face alone I doubt it is a galap or aldab, it actually looks like a chaco to me, but I am no expert I would wait for danny to be sure.

V

Vegasjoe

dmmj said:
It has a very black shell, based on the face alone I doubt it is a galap or aldab, it actually looks like a chaco to me, but I am no expert I would wait for danny to be sure.

THanks, it looks very desert when looking at pics, but I have never seen a black desert.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
That is not a Russian Tortoise it looks like a Desert Tortoise to me. :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Well pet stores will sometimes "invent" cool sounding names just to try and sell them for more money. I visit a couple of indep. stores every so often and you should see some of the name they put on their animals.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois

Wow, he's huge already. Beautiful :)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I've seen Desert tortoises that dark before. :)

Danny

movealongmosey

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
Heres a baby galap! :D
zl6s6h.jpg

V

Vegasjoe

egyptiandan said:
It's a Desert tortoise :D

Yes I know that now, I didn't think it was because I bought it from a snake store they were selling it as a russian tort. I went to get money back and told him that I was going to keep the tortoise and file a complaint, got out of hand, left without money but am going to really pursue a complaint for a store to sell desert tortoises. Any suggestions? Police said they would not get involved since it was Federal. By the way I just purchased one of your Golden Greeks you sold to a gentleman here in Vegas. Beautiful. Thanks,
Danny

Madortoise

5 Year Member
movealongmosey said:
Heres a baby galap! :D
zl6s6h.jpg

P-R-E-T-T-Y!

Oh--I got distracted by the baby pic.
Yes, that's terrible that the pet shop sold DT. I'm not sure what recourse you have. How about contacting local tortoise and turtle society folks for advise?

Status
Not open for further replies.