My turtle shedding

well,uv bought an Indian roofed turtle from a pet shop.(i live in south asia,bangladesh). he is active n playful.
Though uv set a basking place for my kochu(turtle name) in his tank,i hvnt yet bought a uvb li8.
bt i make him bask under the sun everyday. he luves to bask these n little goes under water.
bt problem is, he is shedfing his scutes bt he is well

hingeback

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Malaysia
I am not sure but post pictures so that other more experienced members could help.

my turtle name is kochu.he is an Indian roofed turtle.he is playful n active.i bought it frm a poor pet shop.i dnt knw wht his age is..
he is an aquatic turtle. yet,uv nt managed an uv li8 bt i ensure his basking under the sun.
he started shedding since 2days. n now he goes water to little.i take him our terrace to bask under the sun every day.
what should i do regarding his shedding?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Welcome to TFO from Texas. I don't know about aquatic turtles, just barely getting my feet wet with terrestrial ones. Couple of things come to mind though, when you talk about Kochu basking in sun on your terrace, what temperature is it on the floor where he sits? Also it might help some members to better understand you if you type whole words rather than abbreviating. There are keepers on here who are very experienced with aquatics and I'm sure you'll get good advise once you help them help you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Water turtles frequently shed the very top layer of keratin on their scutes. Without seeing what you're talking about I can only guess this is the normal shedding they do.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Most all aquatic turtles shed the top layer of their scutes. Your picture is out of focus and hard to SEE what you are describing but what you are saying sounds completely normal. If there is something in particular that you think looks unnatural, please post some better pictures so we can see.