Mr Maxamillion

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
I'm very happy for you.
I know you've been wanting one for some time. Or was that a skink? At any rate, congratulations.
That lizard will have a great life with you.
Thank you!
Yes, but I will still be getting mr or miss skink, which also makes me very happy, because I'll get to experience both!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
nnn.PNG
You're supposed to sleep ON the hammock, you silly thing ;)
He is a sweetie. Today he let me pick him up so I check to make sure 'he' IS a he and not a she. He looks like a mr to me!
I decided to go the MVB route, because to me, it's more convenient. I bought two, one for each lamp, and it creates a lovely temperature gradient.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Thanks, man!
I think I got my point across, so could a mod please rename this thread to say Mr Maxamillion? Thank you :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm thinking about adding a humid dig box, so he can retreat and be 'moister', but I don't want him to lick up any on the floor! I caught him tasting the tile already! :confused:

I've been doing that with all my "desert" species of lizards and snakes for years. It works really well. Coco coir or coco chips work really well for a humid hide box. I use plastic food containers of the correct size and cut out a door hole just big enough for the animal to fit. Put him in there a few times to "teach" him where and what it is.

What are your temps in the cage? Warm side, cools side, basking area, night?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Under the light is 105. To the left and right of the light is 100, and farther down the basking log is 90, and the area where his food sits is just about 79. His hide is 75, the area where the water is is 75, and just above that, to the left, is the second MVB at 95.
The tile is 68.
At night it's about 73-4, because the house automatically cools down.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
If you're gonna start raising your own feeder insects, black soldier fly larva (aka Phoenix worms, Reptiworms, or Calciworms) are one of the easiest.

The composter shown in the video works well and is fairly aesthetically pleasing but you can also make your own DIY version from a 5 gallon bucket or tote.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
If you're gonna start raising your own feeder insects, black soldier fly larva (aka Phoenix worms, Reptiworms, or Calciworms) are one of the easiest.

The composter shown in the video works well and is fairly aesthetically pleasing but you can also make your own DIY version from a 5 gallon bucket or tote.
wellington has offered to send me dubias to get started, I just have to set them up :D
I like the composter idea, and I've heard good things about those little wigglys!
Thanks!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
It somehow smells less appetizing than their tortoise food.

Edit: Have not yet worked up the courage to taste it.
:p
I will admit the tortoise food tasted subpar.
Has it been consumed by your dragons?