Hello

Dawn48

Hello, I'm new to tortoise keeping although I've always loved them from a young child when my auntie had two. I purchased a marinated tortoise on Thursday last week, I've named him Only, he is so cute. The only thing I'm concerned about is that he hasn't been to the toilet yet. Should I be concerned about this? He is eating well, loves to bask under the heat lamp and has a uv light. I have also been bathing him every morning. Any advice would be appreciated.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Can you give us more info? What is his diet and what are your 4 temps? Hot side, cool side, basking and night low? Are you soaking, and what humidity?

Dawn48

Can you give us more info? What is his diet and what are your 4 temps? Hot side, cool side, basking and night low? Are you soaking, and what humidity?
His, his diet so far is, dandelion, romaine lettuce, hibiscus flower, viola flower, and just once has had rocket and watercress. Basking temp is 95-98f, cool side is 75-80f and overnight so far has been 70f. Yes I've been bathing him in warm water every morning

yillt

Welcome. I hope your tortoise isn't marinated ;) (Marginated maybe?) He needs a long warm soak and abut more time to settle in. Has he been outside yet? Are you sire he hadn't been to the loo but you just haven't spotted it?

Dawn48

Welcome. I hope your tortoise isn't marinated ;) (Marginated maybe?) He needs a long warm soak and abut more time to settle in. Has he been outside yet? Are you sire he hadn't been to the loo but you just haven't spotted it?
Haha, well spotted, didn't realise it said marinated!! I live in England so it's too cold for him to go out until next summer. From what I've read I think I would have noticed if he'd been to the loo, I haven't seen anything and definitely not when he is having a soak. Perhaps like you said, he needs more time to settle in. It's only been 3 days since I got him.

Dawn48

Hello, I'm new to tortoise keeping although I've always loved them from a young child when my auntie had two. I purchased a Marginated tortoise on Thursday last week, I've named him Olly , he is so cute. The only thing I'm concerned about is that he hasn't been to the toilet yet. Should I be concerned about this? He is eating well, loves to bask under the heat lamp and has a uv light. I have also been bathing him every morning. Any advice would be appreciated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the forum, Dawn!

If you place your tortoise is a pan with tall sides, of warm water, with the water coming up to the middle of his sides, and leave him in there for about a half hour, I guarantee he will poopl

Dawn48

Welcome to the forum, Dawn!

If you place your tortoise is a pan with tall sides, of warm water, with the water coming up to the middle of his sides, and leave him in there for about a half hour, I guarantee he will poopl
Thank you. I will give that a go tomorrow. Would I need to change the water before the half hour is up, it will go cold otherwise or is that OK?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The water won't get any colder than the temperature the water sits in. So unless your room is in the 60'sF I wouldn't worry about changing it.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Dawn and welcome, I'm in the UK too.
My tort's toilet habits seem to vary with the seasons and he can go up to a week without a poop in the winter
then sometimes every 2 -3 days spring/summer.
But that may be because his diet has to change because dandies etc aren't available.
He also has never pooped in his water, no matter how long I've left him and topped up his water.
I wish he would as it would be easier to contain.
I've read here that they sometimes eat their own poop too but if he does that it will probably be written all over his face!!
Enjoy the forum - there's lots to learn but this is the best place to learn it.