Help me,please,My turtle shedding

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
well,um new here n um nt used to this app.well,uv few questions. i don't know hw to edit posts that uv posted in here.
n if uv posted 5 posts in here,y it's showing 3 posts in participated???y don't i get notificationss like fb regarding my posts?
previously, uv posted 5 posts n which were all abt my turtle shedding scutes. uv hlped by some.bt that wasn't enough,i think.
uv one more question regarding my turtle, can i use human being's ointments to turtle?
can i found novlesan n benadine in pharmacy?[/QUOTE

Please be patient. You'll get the help you need.

How about posting pictures of your tort in the meanwhile? ;)

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I guess your post is duplicated. I answered the other one, then found this one too.

Tent turtles do shed their top layers of the scutes regularly if healthy. Your picture is too poor a quality to see if it is normal shedding or a problem, but shedding itself is good and healthy. Post some good pictures if there are areas you are concerned about so we can see what you are talking about.
Hi Mark, from the couple of your posts I gather you know your way around aquatic species. It sounds like the OP here is seeing something like care sheets including all the basic info, and I have no clue how to help. Would you be able to attach links to were the OP can find about enclosures, diet, lights etc?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a suggestion for you: Most of us don't recognize texting speak. Try to spell out your words so we can understand what you're saying.

The Forum isn't tied to Facebook. We don't do notifications.

Unless your tortoise's shell is injured or sick in some way, I would not put any ointment on it.

Also, there's no need to start a new thread each time you want to post something. I've combined all your threads into two, the introductory thread and the water turtle shedding thread. And every time you make a new thread on this same subject, I'm going to merge it in with the others as soon as I see it.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Hi Mark, from the couple of your posts I gather you know your way around aquatic species. It sounds like the OP here is seeing something like care sheets including all the basic info, and I have no clue how to help. Would you be able to attach links to were the OP can find about enclosures, diet, lights etc?
Thanks, Pearly. As far as care sheets, as far as what's currently available, the easiest I think to follow for setting up aquatic turtles is Austins Turtle Page
http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/housing.htm
I don't think you can go wrong following the Turtle care's basic sections.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Thanks, Pearly. As far as care sheets, as far as what's currently available, the easiest I think to follow for setting up aquatic turtles is Austins Turtle Page
http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/housing.htm
I don't think you can go wrong following the Turtle care's basic sections.
Well, there you go! Good way to start! Always go back to the basics and build from there

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
well,um new here n um nt used to this app.well,uv few questions. i don't know hw to edit posts that uv posted in here.
n if uv posted 5 posts in here,y it's showing 3 posts in participated???y don't i get notificationss like fb regarding my posts?
previously, uv posted 5 posts n which were all abt my turtle shedding scutes. uv hlped by some.bt that wasn't enough,i think.
uv one more question regarding my turtle, can i use human being's ointments to turtle?
can i found novlesan n benadine in pharmacy?
farhatislam2000

You only can edit posts here on the forum for about 15 minutes immediately after you first posted it.

If you log onto the tortoise forum on a computer you will see an alert count at the very top left of your screen if there are any direct answers to your quote that replies to you, or any "likes" you receive. If you are using the mobile app, mine opens to the notifications screen, or you can select "notification's" from the menu.

As Yvonne said - you don't want to put ointments on a turtle's shell unless there is a real problem. Use us and ask questions as you are. I've asked you to post a picture of your turtle that shows the problem you are concerned with as the only picture you posted doesn't show any signs other than the beginning of normal shedding. But it is a very poor quality picture, and can't really see any detail of the areas. If we see something we think you need to treat, we will give you suggestions for that once we know what we are dealing with.

Combining your posts is important. As we start helping you, we will all go back and follow your original post to see if there are additional questions we need to address.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Also, please keep in mind the part of the world you, and we, are in. You may post when we are in bed, so give it time for us to see it when we wake up!

u guys might have read myy previous topic where i mentioned that my turtle was shedding.
Today i found my turtle's shell rotten n two worms coming out from it.what should i do in this case?
no pics available

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
That's pretty horrifying. Am I right remembering you're in a country without many vets? You need to clean the site of rot out. A vet would be ideal, but if that is absolutely not an option, you'll have to do it yourself.

I would clean the area with a hydrogen peroxide solution and then pick out the maggots you can access with tweezers. A syringe filled with water may help you flush them out. You'll likely have to do this multiple times. An antibiotic should be applied to the wound once it is clean. I have no idea what is available in your country.

How are you keeping this turtle? You'll need to keep it in a 'hospital tank' - some clean space where flys can't access the turtle and nothing can get into the wound. I am honestly not sure with your species how long it would be appropriate to keep them out of water to dry out the wound. Hopefully someone with specific experience here can give you advice.

My turtle is an aquatic turtle. Yet i have not managed uv lights n well filteration.But i somehow manage a good basking place for my turtle on my terrace. he is really active. i once gave him sliced n chopped shrimp.he eated them so fastly.
yes,it's really hard for me to maintain cleanliness of tank.bt i try to change water once a week.sometimes i become late.
Can u suggest me some antibiotics for my pet?
Do u really think if I do whatever u've mentioned in above will do???
what will happen if i can't handle this situation? Will he die? :(
Can u explain more about hospital tank? What's it like n what are the important requirements to make this kind of tank?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
They've been tagged in the post.

It will help if you can provide clear, in focus pictures of whatever injury your turtle has as well as a clear description and photos of where the turtle lives, how you care for it, how you feed it.

You have to meet the basic needs of your pets for them to stay healthy - that means keeping them clean and safe, keeping them at the correct temperature for their species, providing the depth of water they need, freedom to bask, UVB light (from the sun or a bulb), the correct food (and the correct environment to eat that food in), etc.. If you get your basic husbandry right, your care issues will get easier. It sounds like you need to do a lot of reading on what your particular turtle needs.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You'll have to clean the maggots out of the shell. When you put peroxide in there it should make them come out. As they come to the surface, grab them with the tweezers.

Keep the turtle out of the water while you're treating his shell.

It's so hard for us to know what's really going on. "shedding" and an actual hole in the shell are two very different things. Your turtle sustained an injury that opened the shell and flies laid eggs in the hole. Now the eggs have hatched. We need to see a picture.

my camera isn't working, so i can't send u pictures ri8 now.but i surely will.
as u've said,my turtle sustained an injury.
i should admit it.
once,i placed a big stone in his tank to make his basking place.but it got hurt by the stone.so setting a big stone which had roughly edges was my biggest mistake, and which lead to him at this condition

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
We need the picture to really know what we are talking about. IF the damage did start some shell rot, and that is where the eggs/maggots were laid, you will need to clean out any of the bad tissue. Scrape it out with a small knife like an exacto blade, but you need to be very careful. Then treat with antibiotic ointment and dry dock. Best to let a vet do this, but I have done it a few times over the years myself successfully. The rot will look more white in color. Good tissue is more the color of the overall shell.

We need to see pictures. Don't do anything until we see pictures as I don't want you doing this if there really is not shell rot involved.