My new leopard tortoise won't eat!

klaurencelle

I have had him for 2 days now and I haven't seen him eat yet and I'm getting concerned. I have Timothy hay, leafy greens, and mazuri and he won't eat any of it. His basking spot is about 95F. I have a UVB light as well. He still moves around. He will hide and sleep then come out and walk a bit but I haven't seen him eat. I've seen him urinate once so that's functioning. I don't think he is eating at night because no food is missing. Any suggestions on getting him to eat. ImageUploadedByTortForum1392951498.882586.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They most likely will not eat the hay or the Mazuri at that age. Try a wider variety of greens and if you can get weeds and plants from outside that are tort safe, try those too. Also, give him some time to get accustomed to his new home. Soak him every day in warm water for 20-30 minutes and please read Toms threads below for raising a healthy smooth leopard. The sulcata ones will apply to your leopard.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
^Agreed. Also just because you don't see it happening doesn't mean it isn't happening. If you've only had him/her for 2 days give it some time. Some take their time adjusting and others chow down immediately.

Wartortle

Southern California (Simi Valley)
Mine took a few days to eat as well. The soakings really did the trick in my opinion. After being soaked, my little guy had much more of an interest in food. I started them on mustard greens and collard. Then, it was easy to slowly integrate small grass clippings and mazuri afterwards. Doing it slowly was definitely the key though. For now, patience until your tort starts eating. Lots and lots of patience :)

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Agree with the above also. Chop up your greens into really small pieces also which makes it easier for him to eat and also stirs up the smell of food. I chop up different types of lettuce from spring mix and my little guys will start eating that immediately. If you get him to eat hay, you may be the firts to make that happen. Mazuri also takes some time to introduce to young ones. I guess that changes as they grow because mazuri is like crack to my adult leopards. :p