My leopard tortoise won't eat

Rhea&Hendricks

5 Year Member
Help!! He loves dandelion leaves and cucumber but he isn't supposed to eat that lots and when he ears crouch grass it comes out whole in his poo I haven't had him long so I'm still learning what do you feed your leopard tortoises any suggestions will be greatful he is only 1 thankyou

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    917.5 KB · Views: 24

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Very unique looking tortoise you have there. I like the high dome.

There are several lists floating around the forum. Here is a good list written for sulcatas but applies to leopards all the same. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-diet-sheet.52677/

Are you feeding him on your floor or do you have him there just for a picture?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We have a pretty extensive list of foods to feed tortoises at the top of the Food and Diet section. You can pick and choose anything from that list, but don't get in a rut and use the same thing over and over. Give him a nice variety.

Rhea&Hendricks

5 Year Member
Thankyou hopefully this will help ... I was seeing if he would eat off the floor but he wouldn't haha so scrap that idea he just walked over it

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Getting tortoises to eat better foods or a more varied diet often depends on how the food is presented and offered. Here's an excerpt from something I shared in another thread.
I find that tortoises are more accepting of new foods when they are outdoors in large areas and able to graze...more "comfortable" settings you might say...for a tortoise. Another trick is to introduce small amounts of the unfamiliar food with the familiar food and gradually increasing the amount of the unfamiliar food until they start eating it by itself.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Another trick is to place the food right at the opening of the hiding place so the baby doesn't have to come out very far and feel so exposed.