Russian Tortoise won't eat

wangxjj123650

Location (City and/or State)
CA
Hi all,

I have a Russian Tortoise that was left to our family. We just got a nice enclosure for him. However, recently, he will not eat anything. He's sleeps mostly in the shaded area of his house. I have a heating lamp but he mostly sleeps in the other side. We use to give him lettuce and he will eat no problem, but then we tried mixing it up for him, but he just won't eat. I tried soaking him for 15minutes each day. At first, he looks at the food and kind of snaps at the food but misses it and just crawls away. Not sure if its the eyes, the health or something else. Thanks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We need pics of the enclosure.
Pics of the tort.
Also a run down of the actual temps. Day, night, basking.
The diet can not be just lettuce. You will have to introduce a much better diet. Dark leafy greens and weeds.
Chop the better foods and the lettuce all up small. Use little more lettuce then the better stuff. Put in a pile and spritz with water. As he eats this no problems, then start using less lettuce and more of the better stuff. It may take awhile but stay with it until you are not adding any more lettuce.

wangxjj123650

CA

Attachments

• IMG_5153.JPG
    IMG_5153.JPG
    544.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5154.JPG
    IMG_5154.JPG
    495.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5155.JPG
    IMG_5155.JPG
    303.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5156.JPG
    IMG_5156.JPG
    422.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5157.JPG
    IMG_5157.JPG
    546.9 KB · Views: 11

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You don't really need that gauge. Try to return it and get your money back. Humidity isn't all that important for your full grown Russian.

If you can provide him with 3 or 4 hours a week of real sunshine you won't need a UVB light and besides that, the one you show isn't good for tortoises.

Is there any way you can set this tortoise up in a safe and secure outside area? They really do much better outside.