New Russian Tortoise won't eat

That_Guy

Hi everyone.

I've had a Russian tortoise for about 2 1/2 days, and I haven't seen him eat yet. At least, the food I've given him. I house him indoors, so today I took him outside for a while and he loved it, and I was elated to see him eating something, but upon further inspection he was chewing at some dirt.

The food I've set out for him thus far is iceberg lettuce and baby romaine, both mixed with T-Rex tortoise dry formula pellets. He does seem to enjoy soaking and he's very active and constantly burrowing, so I don't think anything is wrong with him.

Is he just not eating when I'm around? Or is something wrong? Does he just need more time to adjust to his new home?

Thanks for the help.

saginawhxc

Location (City and/or State)
Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I think it's fairly common for it to take a few days or longer to get used to new living conditions.

I'm also not entirely sure those are the best food choices, but someone more knowledgeable about Russians will be able to tell you more.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
The food I've set out for him thus far is iceberg lettuce and baby romaine, both mixed with T-Rex tortoise dry formula pellets.

No! Bad! (Rubbing your nose in it) Bad human!

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
I agree bad choice in food. there are many threads on here with the correct diet for russians

That_Guy

I agree bad choice in food. there are many threads on here with the correct diet for russians

A lot of those threads seem to involve growing food for them and avoiding grocery store food. Growing food isn't really something I can do. I asked a friend who has owned a Russian tortoise for a few years and he told me that some good choices are romaine and shredded carrots.

Does anyone have some specifics for vegetables, pellets or anything else I should try feeding him?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
No vegetables romaine lettuce is very low and nutrition and carrots high in sugar. You want to stick to Greens such as radish turnip mustard if you cannot grow your own food.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I buy a bundle of turnip greens and collard greens weekly. For variety I rotate mustard greens, kale, and endive as the third bundle of greens. Then I take them home, chop them all up, and feed them to my animals throughout the week. During winter I buy dandelion greens weekly, but during the summer I pick those from my yard. All of these should be available in a local grocery store and are likely much better options.

I have a sulcata and not a Russian, but I still believe these are likely a much superior diet. I would link to the care threads for you but it's a pain in the butt to do from my phone. Sorry.