My baby tortoise won't eat

Taxifloyd

Hi I'm hoping somebody can give me some advice I have a 6 month horsefield tortoise I've only had him 4 weeks but he do sent seem to eat I've tried bathing him giving him fresh leaves and baby tortoise food but he seems so weak he does move around but is can't get him to eat he seems to want to sleep a lot please can I get advice Thankyou Maria

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Give us all the details of enclosure, lighting, temps, humidity as possible, substrate, soakings per week, etc. also type of light bulbs you are using. Most times when they sleep a lot and don't eat they are too cold. What's your basking temps?

Taxifloyd

Hi thanks for the reply I bought everything from my local pet shop it's a very big vivarium 4 ft when I put my hand in it does feel warm the older tortoise seems fine I haven't got a thermometer but I will buy on I also have a heat mat but have never used it

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Wait... you have an older, bigger, stronger tortoise in with this fellow? If the answer is yes, we may now the major cause for the problems your having. :(

If you can buy a heat gun, they are so much better. For a quick emergency use, even a regular one for house temps would work to give a basic idea of the temps, which are super important.

Also keep in mind, the smaller a tortoise is, the less body mass it has. Body mass is important because it helps to hold in heat better and gives it more backup like stored food if things are going wrong. What this means is a bigger tortoise can handle extremes of temperatires better, go without eating longer, and have more to fight off disease with.

The reason I asked about if it was sharing the enclosure, as you lightly touched on, is that the bigger animal may be bulling the smaller one away from food, the better spots in the enclosure for temperatures and humidity.You may not see physical bullying tactics, but there are mental ones too. Little ones will sometimes just shut down, rather then try to fight back against the stronger more aggressive animal.

When soaking, since he is weak and not eating, I would suggest giving baby food soaks. What this means is that you add to the warm water, some baby food. I would suggest carrots. I would suggest you might want to try adding some Pedialyte (which is used for babies) also. This way some food value is more likely to be getting into the tortoise while it is just drinking or soaking in this baby food bath.

Yodasmom

Ireland
Hi! I agree with trying some baby carrot food in his water soaks, this did the trick for me. I did it every second day for about 10 days and now my tort is at his ideal weight and very active. Also, you could try Reptoboost, it's used in water soaks too and provides nutrients and gives them a little boost! :shy: :tort:

Taxifloyd

The other tortoise is bigger but he seems friendly towards the little one and the little one seems to follow him around but I will try what you suggested with the baby food in his bath maybe I need more lighting I'm not sure it is a big vivarium 4ft and only one heat light but it feels warm when you put your hand in Thankyou very much for your advise Maria

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Following is NOT friendly behavior. Tortoises are not "friendly" toward each other. Following is chasing and the follower is telling the other one to get out of its territory.

Please read: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-45180.html

And this one: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-80698.html

Your tortoises need to be separated immediately, and you need to get your enclosures set up properly. Please don't delay. Every day they spend like this makes recovery much less likely.