My little hermann 4 months old has a soft shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

David.kim

5 Year Member
How do I get my hermann 4 months old to get more calcium. I noticed today his shell is soft.

tortuga_please

5 Year Member
Get a cuttlebone for him to chew on or put calcium powder on his food. He might also need D3, outdoor light, UVB, or D3 supplements might help

David.kim

5 Year Member
I am very concerned I give him calcium power on his food daily he has a uvb bulb, temp im the cage is 80° The substraight is aspen. I give him spring mix daily. He has never been active he sits in the same spot rarely moves.

I also soak him daily. For 20 min

Is there a d3 liquid I can soak him in

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
Assume your pet is VERY, VERY sick, and you'll need to hustle to turn his/her illness around...not trying to be the bearer of bad news, but this IS serious!!! :tort:

(1) Soak it everyday in water mixed with a half-bottle of pureed carrot baby food. Continue daily until shell in noticably firmer, maybe until summer, even.

(2) Get the temp over the basking spot to 95F

(3) Daily, offer it a piece of cactus, about the size of a quarter...high in calcium! If it's reluctant, color it red w/ some pureed carrots or even red food dye. Tortoises equate the color red with yumminess!

(4) Get it some REAL sunlight as often as you can, even if it's only for 15 minutes a day...no artificial light is as good. When it warms up, make it an outdoors enclosure of some sort.

Best of luck and know we're all pulling for the two of you!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Truly sorry to hear this...baby torts can be very delicate, which is why I prefer to get 'em when they're a little older and more established. :(

taurusgi

5 Year Member
CA
I'm sorry to heat that.... hope you are doing ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.