Can someone give me some advise please.

Tinkerbell

5 Year Member
My baby hermann (4 months old ) he keeps going over onto his shell. I'm so worried he's going to do this when I'm at work (4hrs a day ) I keep thinking I'm not going to get there in time. He's very active, eats well and seems very healthy. He's doin this at least once or twice a day.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post a pic of the inside of the enclosure and we can help with finding the things to fix to try and help with his flipping or him being able to right himself when he does flip.

Tinkerbell

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1384189842.325769.jpg
Hiya hopefully you can see his enclosure.

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Where in the enclosure does he "usually" encounter roll overs? I would also suggest that you house your uva/uvb bulb in a proper hood fixture....I also would request that you consider using a different style of bulb --the coil bulbs when used in a closed in/smaller area have been known to cause injury to torts little sensitive eyeballs....especially if they are babies...

Tinkerbell

5 Year Member
The lights are secured to the bottom of a shelf at the right height. Bulb is a Eco Terra which I thought was the best one to use. He seems to like climbing which is when he falls. His hide which he loves I've put a large pebble there as he seems to like climbing this ImageUploadedByTortForum1384190902.715326.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
There have been numerous posts about the dangers of using coiled bulbs. There was a discussion yesterday about this topic. Best advice is to get rid of the bulb. Go with a MVB or straight T5 HO
Zoomed and separate heat source. That may be why the tortoise is flipping over. It is trying to get away from the light. It can cause retinal damage.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Ah what a great place for a tort to try to conquer....also, I would put something on the ledge/corner to block his hopes of getting over and out at the hide corner/ledge...

Is the fixture the bulb is placed in a ceramic one? It appears plastic from my old lady eyes....also, please take a few minutes to look this over, the style has proven to be hazardous and I was simply sharing that with you ;)

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm

Tinkerbell

5 Year Member
The holders are plastic light fittings and I'm now worried as had this bulb for 2 months. I check Charlie all the time and he seems fine: eyes are ok. What's the best set up and bulbs as would be so guilty and sad if I am doing Charlie any damage and harm.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
I've recently tested bulbs and the most consistent MVB bulbs are the Powersun bulbs, but only put out UV for about 3 months. They are a good source of heat.
The best UV bulbs are the Zoomed T5 HO flourescent bulbs. You will need a hew fixture for those bulbs and they need to be suspended 18" from the substrate.

Tinkerbell

5 Year Member
Can you get this in the uk though and thanks for the advise. Really appreciate it as I'm still learning and want what best.

Tinkerbell

5 Year Member
That's really useful. Thankyou so much. Will def look into getting one of these

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
I have in my enclosure 3 different reg. light bulbs with different temp. so the animals can go in and out of the heat they need. (40w, 60w, 70w checked with temp. gun, so it doe not go over 100F)
They need to bask to get the correct body temp. to get their intestins etc. going. they eat better. They need also bright light which will given by the bulbs. I would not use a coilded, compact light. I have a 10uvb 14 inch above the torts., could use 5.0 too reptisun strip light across the enclosure.
Your enclosure is very dark and not stimmulating. Think about where they live, it is a mediterranean tortoise. He will get MBD if the heat, uvb and is not correct. I have also 2 water bowls in my enclosure so they can drink and sit in there (avoiding pyramiding).

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Is the substrate as soft and dry as it looks? If so, it's going to be difficult to impossible for him to right himself when he upends, and that can be dangerous. He needs some moisture in the substrate, too, for his health, and that also adds firmness.

Tinkerbell

5 Year Member
I always thought for a hermann the substrate has to be dry and not moist. I use top soil and play sand. Does it need to be moist then

Thankyou, my dad made it for me. It's not dark in there it's quite bright ( just the way the photo has come out)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The holders are plastic light fittings

Ceramic fittings reduce the chance of melting plastic/fire hazard...main reason I inquired...

I personally would not use a coil/pig tail bulb---simply a personal preference...