My greek tortoise won’t eat!

kimberly1999

Location (City and/or State)
California
So I’ve had my greek tortoise for about 1 week now and he was doing just fine but now he’s refusing to eat, he drinks water just fine but just isn’t eating. Also recently one of his eyes isn’t opening as quickly as the other... it opens all the way but it takes a couple minutes to do so. I’ve also stopped touching him(except when i soak him) because i thought he just wanted to be alone but it’s not working.
Anything will help! I just want him better again.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello Kimberly and welcome

It is very common for a new tortoise to get frightened and go on hunger strike.

It’s also important to make sure the enclosure is setup right, but I’ll cover that in my next post. We will need to see photos of your enclosure and lighting (and we love tortoise photos anyway) to help you.

I recommend that you establish a routine so that your tortoise learns what to expect and when.

1. Put the lights on timers so they come on and go off at the same time each day. This also means you can have a lie in or go out without worrying.

2. Start the day by soaking your tort for at least 20 minutes in warm water. Use a high-sided bowl with a flat bottom, a washing up bowl is ideal, and have the water deep enough to come just up over the join between the shell and the plastron.

3. While your tort soaks, tidy the enclosure and place food

4. Replace your tortoise and then walk away. Leave it entirely alone to be brave and explore. Don’t be tempted to watch as you are big and intimidating right now. Your tort will learn that you bring yummy food and are safe, but some are slower on the uptake than others.

Your tortoise isn’t social and is happiest and healthiest with all 4 feet on the floor in its enclosure.

Out of its enclosure it is away from the heat, humidity and UVB that it needs to be healthy. It is also at risk of escape, being trodden on or eating something it shouldn’t like dust bunnies or hair that get caught in the gut... we see all these too often on TFO; you only have to be distracted for a moment. Don’t let your tortoise roam your home

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Now for the enclosure. As I said, we need photos please of the enclosure and lighting.

We also need to know the four important temperatures: warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum.

It must be 95-100F under the basking lamp. Other temperatures depend on the age/size of your tortoise. It must not drop below 80F day or night for babies for example.

You need to read the TFO care guides and compare them with your setup.

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

If you have a baby/ very young Greek this is about the care of young Testudo (including Greeks)
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

If you have an older tortoise then read this
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-testudo-graeca-care-sheet-overview.87146/

kimberly1999

California
Here’s the enclosure! My tortoise finally decided to eat again but i guess it was because he got very hungry and now he stopped eating again.
I do spray the enclosure every so often to keep humidity up and I also use a warm towel to keep all the humidity in(i dont cover the full thing I leave a bit for him not to suffocate).
I have two hygro/thermometer (one digital and one scale) on each side of the enclosure.

IMG_1510881699.270140.jpgIMG_9254.jpgIMG_9255.jpgIMG_9256.jpgIMG_9259.jpg

kimberly1999

California
Quick Update:
Honestly I still don’t know what was the problem but he suddenly decided to start eating again Thanks anyways :) IMG_1511029890.374779.jpg