Mother of thousands

DayDreamer

Location (City and/or State)
San Juan PR
http://thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?st=true&mode=main&catID=674

they seem a bit confused if its safe for torts to eat or not... considering some have been seen eating it in the wild...

ive had a few people tell me it was safe to feed but im a bit confused now. koopa did have it last night as a treat (before i found out it was a do not feed on TTT i fed it based on what someone who has a tortoise rescue said. it was safe to feed and that said person also fed it to their torts.)
koopa is doing 100% fine this morning and he LOVED it (this is a very picky tort) i was thinking about planting it in his enclosure in the future but i wanted some second opinions on if this plant is safe or not.

here is a picture of the exact plant i have

2vwb76d.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There are several plants referred to as Mother of Millions, Mother of Thousands, etc. So you really need to know your plants' species. This is what wiki says about the Bryophyllum:

"Bryophyllum daigremontianum, also called mother of thousands, alligator plant, or Mexican hat plant is a succulent plant native to Madagascar. Like other members of the genusBryophyllum, it is able to propagate vegetatively from plantlets that develop on phylloclade margins. All parts of the plant are poisonous (they contain daigremontianin and other bufadienolides), which can even be fatal if ingested by infants or small pets."

CanadianTestudo

5 Year Member
well seeing how it causes death in cows I myself wouldn't feed it to my tortoise

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Better safe than sorry. I will not feed.

If my torts died, the people who told me it is safe would not pay me for my torts right? I wouldn't feed my torts even they would pay........