Advice on transitioning a 3 month old sulcata to grass.

edricivan

This is fantastic. Every tortoise should be so lucky to have an owner like you!

Thanks @Tom ! That's quite a complement coming from the Sulcata guru. :) I do have additional questions though.

How long before I'll need to add organic fert?
Do I just chop some off and keep growing them?
What'r the lifespan of these plants? Wondering every when I should reset.

Thanks again!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Thanks @Tom ! That's quite a complement coming from the Sulcata guru. :) I do have additional questions though.

How long before I'll need to add organic fert?
Do I just chop some off and keep growing them?
What'r the lifespan of these plants? Wondering every when I should reset.

Thanks again!

1. I don't think there is a single right answer to this. I fertilize my soil in my planter boxes every spring. In a more tropical climate with no real "winter" you might need to fertilize twice a year or more.

2. Yes. I from mine in 4x8' tables and all summer in spring I come chop off half the table every two weeks. A 4x4 section fills a five gallon bucket every two weeks all summer long.

3. Some of the plant in the mix die off over time and I end up with large, well rooted Italian dandelion plants that grow huge leaves and make little lavender flowers for me. The soil in between these plants gets bare over time and I replant I between the lager stalks of the older plants.

edricivan

1. I don't think there is a single right answer to this. I fertilize my soil in my planter boxes every spring. In a more tropical climate with no real "winter" you might need to fertilize twice a year or more.

2. Yes. I from mine in 4x8' tables and all summer in spring I come chop off half the table every two weeks. A 4x4 section fills a five gallon bucket every two weeks all summer long.

3. Some of the plant in the mix die off over time and I end up with large, well rooted Italian dandelion plants that grow huge leaves and make little lavender flowers for me. The soil in between these plants gets bare over time and I replant I between the lager stalks of the older plants.

Hi Tom do you have photos of your testudo and african grazer mix patches? I'm curious to see what they look like full grown so I know when to start chopping.

thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Wow that's really nice growth! I wonder if I can get mine to grow like that. How much seeds did you put? How did you space them out?

It was very un-scientific. I just prepare the soil by churning it all up and then smoothing out the surface. Then I grab handfuls of the seed mix and cast it all over the surface evenly. Finally, I put just a little bit of soil over the seeds and then water. Its very important to not let the little sprouts dry out in the first couple of weeks. This is a big challenge in summer in my climate. Sometimes I have to sprinkle them hourly in the mid day heat here when they are first sprouting.