More Variety!

Princess Nova

Location (City and/or State)
Rainier, OR
Hello again :)

Just wanted to quickly ask if anyone could link me some good, trustworthy lists of safe Russian tortoise foods?
Everyone here gets angry at me for not asking this site and this site only, so here I am [emoji23]
I know how to properly feed my Russians, I just want to quickly and easily brush up on the information (and not get outdated info), and also try and expand the variety for them!
Also, what about mazuri? Who feeds their Russians mazuri and what’s your experience with it? What is it exactly good for?
Thank you :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mazuri tortoise chow (original, not LS) is a prepared type of tortoise pellet. Most people soak it until it is mushy and then feed it by itself of mixed with other foods. I like to offer it once or twice a week as a supplement to an otherwise varied diet. Because it is complete and balanced nutrition, it will ensure that your tortoise is getting all the nutrients and trace elements it needs. Having said all of that, Mazuri is not "necessary". If you food a lot of variety and high fiber weedy foods, you don't ever have to feed your tortoise Mazuri. I think you should, but it is not required.

Here is a list of good foods for a russian tortoise:
Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:
"Testudo Seed Mix" from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes
Pasture mixes or other seeds from http://www.groworganic.com/seeds.html
Homegrown alfalfa
Mazuri Tortoise Chow
ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
That is a great list and you should have access to quite a few of them but since you’re in a damp area, there will be other weeds around you that aren’t on this list. The longer you look around you, the more comfortable you’ll be identifying them but you can always bring a picture of one into the plant ID section and we’ll help you out.

I usually encourage owners to look into what’s available around them. You’ve got a fair amount of wineries up there, so I know you can grow a grapevine if you’ve got the space or perhaps you have a friend or neighbor than can offer you some leaves.

Different types of grocery stores, particularly Asian ones, offer good choices but Rainier is so small, I don’t know that you will have any. I do think you can find a hispanic grocery store, where you can buy a cactus pad on occasion; they will be labeled nopales.

I don’t feed Mazuri but my adult Russian is exclusively outdoors and I have access to a range of foods that is much broader than most owners do. She’s also not picky.

Princess Nova

Rainier, OR
Thank you both so much :)
I would love to learn how to identify safe plants that DO grow here, I only know a handful of them [emoji53] I’ll definitely have to check that plant ID section out haha. And definitely going to try mazuri!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you both so much :)
I would love to learn how to identify safe plants that DO grow here, I only know a handful of them [emoji53] I’ll definitely have to check that plant ID section out haha. And definitely going to try mazuri!
When I have trouble figuring out an ID, I'll take a sample into my local nursery. There is usually a resident plant nerd that can ID anything.