Food questions.

axeman25

Location (City and/or State)
Central Michigan
Yes, me again. I have been feeding my three Russians a wide variety of greens and have to mix the zoo med grassland tortoise food with it to make sure they are getting all the necessary vitamins. They will not eat the zoo med alone. I have to moisten it and mix it. From what I've read, I'm pretty sure I went through the 15oz container pretty quick. About 2 mos for 3 torts. There have been constant adjustments to their amount. I do add a supplement for d3 a couple times of week too. My question is I am wondering should I try a different type of food? Even though they eat it mixed with the greens it doesn't mean they like it. I was thinking of ordering some of the Mazuri pellets from tortoise supply. That seems to be popular on this site. Thanks again.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Investigate getting Mazuri from a local feed store. The bag will cost more up front but will probably last a year. Anywhere that has Purina should be able to get Mazuri.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Variety is always good. I have tried the processed food but my tortoise won't eat it. The closest thing she'll do is eat some of the herbal hey if I moisten it and mix it with greens. The pellet foods are not required but I don't think they hurt anything when they are part of a well varied diet. Were you planning an outdoor enclosure? You can get Russian tortoise specific seed mixes and plant them in the enclosure for the summer and they will love it. You can also grow them inside during the winter. I also like the TNT powder from Carolina pet supply, it is basically ground up plants and makes and I supplement, I have even been told that if you use it you don't need to use calcium. I use that and the herbal hey to supplement the grocery store greens in the winter. In the summer my tortoise just eat the plants in the outdoor enclosure. About once a week I will scrape some cuttlebone onto a cactus pad and feed it to her to make sure she is getting calcium. Don't forget to put in a couple cuttlebone's around the enclosure.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I supplement with both grassland and mazuri. I use very little grassland with greens 2x a week and mazuri in the afternoon sometimes.

axeman25

Central Michigan
I usually feed them once a day and maybe a small snack of mixed greens later in the evening if they bum rush me when I look in the enclosure. What I've been doing lately is cutting their greens up into small pieces, soaking the zoo med and then mixing the two together. I figure this way they get the added vitamins from the zoo med. Just figured I try something different to see if they like it better. Thanks again.