Mazuri feeding tip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South, Texas
Is there any tip or way you feed your baby sullies mazuri mine just wont eat it i tryed mixing it with greens soaking it everything, any help? Thanks

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
try using some sort of flavored liquid.. like strawberry juice.. if they like that..
I feed mine dry, but mine arent babies..

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Laura...do you ever moisten it for your guys...I alternate it dry and moistened for Aladar...of course, I only moisten it when I'm making his favorite...TORTOISE LASAGNE!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I soak it and then mush it all up with some endive or other favorite greens. They really can't eat around it very well this way. Some of them don't take to it right away, but if you just keep offering it they will eventually get used to the sight, smell, taste as texture of it. It might also help to get him good and hungry before you offer it. Try giving him just a very small amount of food for two days. Leave him hungry and wanting more. Then on the third day soak a couple of Mazuri pellets and mix them in with his favorite foods. I'll betcha' he chows down on whatever you put in front of him on that third day.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
Okay Dean, let's see this tortoise lasagna recipe!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Josh said:
Okay Dean, let's see this tortoise lasagna recipe!

New thread to follow...with pictures!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
If its moist they trample and waste it.. it only take a few seconds for it to absorb.. they have gotten it wet a few times, and eat it regardless,, they like it either way.. just cleaner to feed dry.. i usually toss it over a few handfull of hay.
LOVE the Lazagna recipe and pics... I might do that for them as a treat!

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
also, your sully doesn't NEED mazuri. so if he doesn't eat it, its not huge deal. if you wanna trick him into it, you can soak it till its mushy then spread some on a leaf and roll it up like a burrito. it usually stays rolled pretty good. i do this with calcium powder and squash for my older tort who refuses to eat her food with calcium on it. tricks her every time. do like 5 small leaves and see if it works.

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
We grind it up and use it like a supplement. Sprinkle in with their greens and a little calcium on top.

jagsrule100

10 Year Member!
Florida
My tortoise didnt really like it at first, he would try to go around it and only get the greens but eventually he got used to it and now he likes to eat it without any thing with it, which is great. I've had him for 2 weeks now and he is probably around 2-3 months old.

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
South, Texas
Kool ill try the burrito thing and the sprinkle on top is not a bad idea too. Thanks guy really that does help alot

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Everybody has an opinion, here's mine.

Livingstone gets 8 pellets that are soked in boiling water til they swell and expand, then I drain the water and mush all 8 pellets into one big one. That gets set down on her food plate. Twice a weak I mix her vites and calcium supplement into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.