Question about Mazuri

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseRN

5 Year Member
Hey guys so I recently introduced Shellie to Mazuri and she loves it. I've been mixing 2-3 pellets with 2-3 pellets of Zoomed grassland and some spring mix greens from the store 2x daily. She is still a baby of 88grams as of yesterday. Is it ok to give her Mazuri at every meal time?

jtrux

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
I don't think it's necessary. I offer mine daily but in small quantities and only at one feeding time. I will say that this entire last week I haven't offered it once. So what i'm getting at is that it is better if you offer greens for at least one of the meals. I don't think offering Mazuri daily will cause any harm at all but like I said, it's very beneficial to them to offer plenty of greens often.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I admit, i feed my sulcata mazuri daily.. i mix 4 softened pellets with a bowl full of chopped greens. The trouble with using too much mazuri is they will become addicted to it and look for it every time you. Feed. I personally would not feed it at every feeding. Mix it up a little. Just my opinion....

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I agree with Charmaine. Two years ago my sulcata had pinworms and needed medicine. The Vet gave me a sample of Mazuri to put the medicine on so that the tortoise would ingest the full dose. I had never seen him eat so aggressively so I begin regular feeding of Mazuri. Six months later he would not eat any of the greens I offered and would wait for the Mazuri. I had to withold the Mazuri for over a week to get him back to foraging on his own. Since then I have always mixed chopped greens or hay with the Mazuri. First, I was adding Zoo Med pellets like you have done. As he got bigger I could see that this was eventually going to cost a bunch. Now I use timothy hay pellets that I soak in warm water to re-hydrate and then mix with Mazuri. I believe that Mazuri is good for my tortoise and it has a nutritional balance that I could never achieve with what I can offer him. I also believe that these animals need to walk and graze to be healthy and to have fresh, long fiber foods for their digestive tract to stay healthy.

TortoiseRN

5 Year Member
mainey34 said:
I admit, i feed my sulcata mazuri daily.. i mix 4 softened pellets with a bowl full of chopped greens. The trouble with using too much mazuri is they will become addicted to it and look for it every time you. Feed. I personally would not feed it at every feeding. Mix it up a little. Just my opinion....

That's kind of what I was thinking. she does tend to push some greens aside and go straight for the pellets. She does still eat quite a bit of the greens though.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
The mazuri smells good, thats why the tortoise goes after it. There's nothing wrong with feeding mazuri daily as long as its not the only thing.
If you make sure there isn't enough mazuri to satisfy the tortoise in one sitting then it will continue to eat the other greens. The key is to make the mazuri a small percentage of the diet (15-20%).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is no right or wrong here. Some people feed it daily, some people never feed it. You can raise a healthy tortoise either way, or anywhere in between. My preference is to feed some around twice a week.

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
My tort acts the polar opposite to what I'm hearing about y'alls. He wants nothing to do with mazuri. I have tried several approaches to it. But he just turns his nose up at it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
omgdoubletacos said:
My tort acts the polar opposite to what I'm hearing about y'alls. He wants nothing to do with mazuri. I have tried several approaches to it. But he just turns his nose up at it.

Yeah...some of mine will eat it and some won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.