Mandarin Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
After 4 days of Baytril, Mandarin has regained some appetite and has eaten 2-3 bites of Mazuri, strawberry, and a whole blueberry yesterday! Today s/he nibbled on a strawberry again but wasn't too enthusiastic about any greens. The vet prescribed 7 days of Baytril injections, but I've been struggling to administer them effectively due to Mandarin's small size. I only got 4/7 shots (consecutively) into the little tyke. After speaking to the vet on the phone and observing very small improvements in Mandarin's behavior/appetite, we decided to go with another week of Baytril injections. I had the vet provide me 10 syringes as an insurance policy against failed attempts.

Urinalysis showed red & white blood cells and struvite crystals (apparently uncommon). Specific gravity was okay but pH was a bit low (4.5) - likely due to lack of eating - and trace proteins and glucose were detected. Dr Leighton is pretty confident that liver and/or renal damage is/are not the issue, but admits it's still a possibility. She said she's leaning more toward a bladder or urinary infection, especially since Mandarin has improved a little after 4 consecutive days of Baytril. She reminded me that this small improvement is good, but that we shouldn't assume that it's just a bacterial infection quite yet (but man are we hoping!!!).

I took the whole crew outside today for over an hour, of course Mandarin was segregated from the other three. Mandarin was not interested in foraging, but did walk around with eyes open. I like that I'm seeing slight improvements and hope that this pattern continues.

I've attached proceedings on urinalysis from a veterinary conference that Dr. Leighton shared with me.

Attachments

• URINE_ANALYSIS_IN_TORTOISES.PDF
    92.1 KB · Views: 26

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well the progress is positive, thats always a god sign. Hope it gets back to 100% soon

badkitty

10 Year Member!
Cecilia, Kentucky
When cats & dogs have crystals in their urine we always told them to switch to distilled water, idk if it would help with a tort though

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
tortadise said:
Well the progress is positive, thats always a god sign. Hope it gets back to 100% soon

Thanks Kelly!

badkitty said:
When cats & dogs have crystals in their urine we always told them to switch to distilled water, idk if it would help with a tort though

From what I understand, Struvite crystals are more related to bacterial infections and endocrinology than mineral precipitation, though I'm not an expert on bladder or kidney stones.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Mandarin ate a whole pellet of Mazuri outside this morning and some Zoo Med forest tortoise diet this evening after a second soak. Again, small steps but improvements are so exciting!

...I apologize for the play-by-play, perhaps those that have had sick baby torts in the past can relate...

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Chris,

At that size any improvement is heartening. Keep up the play by play. I'm rooting for him!

Allegra

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
allegraf said:
Chris,

At that size any improvement is heartening. Keep up the play by play. I'm rooting for him!

Allegra

Mandarin has been very excited to eat chunks of portobella mushroom the last two days, I love it!
2lw8vo8.jpg

1zv319y.jpg

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Redstrike said:
Mandarin ate a whole pellet of Mazuri outside this morning and some Zoo Med forest tortoise diet this evening after a second soak. Again, small steps but improvements are so exciting!

...I apologize for the play-by-play, perhaps those that have had sick baby torts in the past can relate...

I don't think anyone minds the play by play, I know I was giving everyone one when Carl's health was worrying me :)

I'm also glad to hear she's getting better. Maybe you posted a thread about it that I didn't see, but what were her initial symptoms? I guess I've just never heard of a urinary tract infection in tortoises.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
futureleopardtortoise said:
Redstrike said:

I don't think anyone minds the play by play, I know I was giving everyone one when Carl's health was worrying me :)

I'm also glad to hear she's getting better. Maybe you posted a thread about it that I didn't see, but what were her initial symptoms? I guess I've just never heard of a urinary tract infection in tortoises.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Mandarin-not-doing-so-hot-lengthy-post#axzz22odv0gIr

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Unfortunately, they start feeling better and we feel guilty and spoil them to no end! Keep it up, spoiling is in order until he is 100%!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
allegraf said:
Unfortunately, they start feeling better and we feel guilty and spoil them to no end! Keep it up, spoiling is in order until he is 100%!

Strawberries, Blueberries, Mazuri, Zoo Med FTD, and Portobella mushrooms the last 2 days...I don't know how much more I could spoil this little tort! Most of it has simply been to entice Mandarin to eat, but I may be over that hump. We'll see how dandelion greens seem tomorrow.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Hopefully the worst is over! Keep stuffing that tort with his favorite foods!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Mgridgaway said:
Hopefully the worst is over! Keep stuffing that tort with his favorite foods!

I hope so too! You bet I'll be stuffing him full of all his favorites!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Chris after reading your post.... I assume your giving injectables of the baytril....and yes very hard to do on any size tort without bending that darn needle. Have you ever tried the oral form? .....I have had luck in most cases , but they can taste it right away and you have to mask it. Also , 5mg for the drinking water will help all the immune systems if you think he has infected other torts.

JD~​

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
N2TORTS said:
Chris after reading your post.... I assume your giving injectables of the baytril....and yes very hard to do on any size tort without bending that darn needle. Have you ever tried the oral form? .....I have had luck in most cases , but they can taste it right away and you have to mask it. Also , 5mg for the drinking water will help all the immune systems if you think he has infected other torts.

JD~​

Thanks JD! Almost done with all the injections (2 left) so I should be good this go-round but I will say it was challenging!

The others seem to be doing fine. Do you get a powder of Baytril at a Tractor Supply to dose water (for future reference)?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
We're 3 days off of the Baytril injections and Mandarin is looking and acting much better!

Still a bit weary of greens, but did eat a good amount of Zoo Med two days ago, nibbled some spring mix yesterday, and ate a bit of opuntia & hibiscus flower today. I'd imagine s/he is still feeling a bit ugly from the antibiotics, so we're taking it slow. The Zoo Med Forest Tortoise diet claims to have bacterial cultures in it, I may give Mandarin another day of that food to help rebuild some gut flora and improve overall appetite.

Until Mandarin has grown some and I build a larger indoor enclosure (eventually they'll have an outdoor), s/he will remain separated from the rest of the group.

Status
Not open for further replies.