Mandarin round 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hi all,

I've had a history with this tortoise. It's one of four that I currently own and it has been extremely challenging. We started out rough about a year and a half ago, but s/he has made a full recovery.

Currently Mandarin just won't grow. S/he is a terribly picky eater. When we go outside the other three torts will be stuffing their faces with weeds, not Mandarin! I've taken in 3 fecals over the last 2 months to check for parasites, they repeatedly come up negative. S/he will readily eat fruits, mazuri, zoo med FTD, etc. all the things I consider treats but will usually snub most greens unless they are grocery store lettuces. I'll abstain from "treats" (listed above) for days, but Mandarin seems to have no issue waiting too.

I'm burnt out, frustrated, and generally pi**ed off with this tortoise! I've had it! S/he was housed separately post-sickness (again 1.5 years ago) but is currently co-habitating with the rest of my group. This is the only thing I can think of that is limiting her growth and making her a picky eater. I'm unsure if I have the capacity to house her separately right now (if you ask to adopt her, don't expect a response it's not what this post is for).

Tirade ended. Any thoughts, suggestions, or complaints?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Many tortoises live their whole lives eating grocery store produce. You just might think about caving in and allowing her to eat what she thinks of as food.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Yvonne G said:
Many tortoises live their whole lives eating grocery store produce. You just might think about caving in and allowing her to eat what she thinks of as food.

I've considered this, but she will eat weeds (violets, plantain, dandelion, etc.) if I hold out long enough. Some days she'll pig out on them while others she is not enticed. I may just give in a pump her full of grocery store greens, mazuri, and Zoo Med, but it's going to be hard for me to do so as the other three are turning out so well on their weed diets spring-fall.

Good thought Yvonne, it just may be where I head.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Consider that she is physiologically fully recovered, but behaviorly not so. Sounds like she will eat the variety offered, but not with the robustness of the others. Overall your concern for the animal's wellbeing is winning over your patience for the former behavior. I hope posting here has been that step back and fresh breath needed.

Just may take longer still. or maybe never return to all the old behaviors.

Grocery greens are not the horrible nutrient source they have come to be made out as. But that is more dependent on the grocery stores' stock in your area.

Will

allegraf

10 Year Member!
I really don't know what is going on with Mandarin! I agree with Yvonne, you have a very picky eater on your hands. Is it so terrible to feed the store bought? I know it is frustrating like having three kids that eat their veggies and are large for their age and then one that only eats mac and cheese and is very small.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
I know for a long time my little redfoot that was sick didn't have that great of an appetite for a long time, even after the sickness went away. She is definitely smaller than her siblings at this point as well.

I wonder if Mandarin is somehow being stressed by the other tortoises? At times, I have had to separate 2 torts so they each have their own time to eat without the other tort seeming to get in the way.

Just a thought. Keep us updated

abclements

5 Year Member
That sounds frustrating! But I agree with everybody else. Store bought greens won't be the end of the world. Also, I know there is/was a member here that only feeds Mazuri, ever.... indoor set up, the whole 9 yards.... and his/her (I can't remember who it was) redfoots have grown up strong, healthy and smooth. I remember seeing pictures and talking to this person in one of the many "how often should I feed mazuri" threads... wish I could be more specific! Sorry!

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
I am certainly no expert. My smallest one was similar and barely gained weight and picked at food last winter. I added a small taste of blueberries or strawberries and or mazuri to whatever the other two were eating. Was this ideal? Probably not but she ate better and slowly caught up and now eats like her two buddies. I would still think there is time to slowly address her diet and would let her have some access to what she likes for now.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Thanks for all the input, I have already caved in to Mandarin's picky habits. She recieved green leaf lettuce and Mazuri/Zoo Med the last two days. I just want to jump start the tort and get things moving so it can catch up with the others.

I do feed Mandarin separate from the group to avoid bullying - s/he is substantially smaller than the others. I may wind up separating her from the group again but I need to evaulate space availability first. I just finished a new enclosure (pictures coming soon) that is substantially larger than their current abode.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
Hopefully by getting her metabolism going again she will eventually cave in and start eating a wider range of foods.

Status
Not open for further replies.