Herd update (pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Recently took the crew out for some sunshine, here's some pictures of our weed-eating adventures:[/i]

Rafiki is developing some incredible marbling and some color in his/her eyes

Coagi

Despite my efforts, they all seem to love wood sorrel - tortoise table UK says it's loaded with oxalates...my tortoises love the stuff.

Mimosa checking me out

Mandarin being a stink-pot

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
LQQIN' GOOD! .....very nice marbling ...to boot! :)

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Cannot believe how beautiful they turned out! The color on them is popping. You have done a fantastic job and I could not be happier that they are yours! Great job growing them smooth and BEAUTIFUL.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
They look amazing! They are really growing up well and are beautiful!

mightymizz

5 Year Member
Great job so far!

Thanks for sharing!

PS- you ever switch substrates away from the Hemlock?

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Beautiful torts!
That picture of Mimosa is really cute!! :)

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
those are really smooth shells and such great colouring :) great job :)

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Thanks for all your compliments!

allegraf said:
Cannot believe how beautiful they turned out! The color on them is popping. You have done a fantastic job and I could not be happier that they are yours! Great job growing them smooth and BEAUTIFUL.

I'm thankful I was directed to you while searching for cherryheads a couple years ago! Thanks for the compliments and encouragement! Despite my efforts Coagi developed some very minor bumps this winter but I don't think it will amount to anything more than that.

mightymizz said:
Great job so far!

Thanks for sharing!

PS- you ever switch substrates away from the Hemlock?

I'm still in search of a substrate that I like... currently I'm on coco coir and it seems to be doing pretty well. The torts seem to enjoy digging down into it. Mulch has been inconsistently milled (some coarse, some nice and fine) and I'm fed up with shell rot (yep, I spot clean daily and the top portions remain dry). I'll let you know how I feel about this coir in a few months.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
You still run the heat cables with the coco coir?

Do you have any fears that they might end up eating too much coir since it gets everywhere? Like when they eat their poop when you're not looking?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
mightymizz said:
You still run the heat cables with the coco coir?

Do you have any fears that they might end up eating too much coir since it gets everywhere? Like when they eat their poop when you're not looking?

Yes, heat cables are still going strong and I added a false bottom so that standing water at the bottom of the enclosure is humidified and sent upward through the substrate. I need to build a new enclosure soon, when I start that project I will take many pictures!

I don't worry about them ingesting too much coco coir. The stuff is pretty spongy and moist, so I don't have massive concerns for impactions. Like I said, we'll see...

Starfield, I'm sure yours will turn out excellent as well. I provide high humidity, a varied diet, and lots of outdoor time (UVB + excercise + stimulation for torts). So far it's been working.

Allegra, I was looking through some older shots of Mimosa and his/her nares have lightened considerably (the "popping colors" remark had me thinking). Check out this comparison of old and new:

Younger Mimosa with much darker nares - darn things are black

Older Mimosa with lighter nares (same photo as above):

I think that's a pretty drastic change in the nare coloration, and it's amazing how their colors can change with time.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Your torts are just stunning, Chris! Glad to see it is warmiing up in Maine, so they can get out.
I also love their names.
Please do keep is updated in the next enclosure.
:)

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
terryo said:
Beautiful job raising some beautiful little Cherries.

Thanks, Terry! When you can, give us an update on Solo & Pio! I love seeing them in your beautiful gardens.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Allegra, I was looking through some older shots of Mimosa and his/her nares have lightened considerably (the "popping colors" remark had me thinking).
I have never noticed or checked to see if the nare changes/gains color over time. Hmmm...very interesting, I need to go over all the other pics I have of my younger torts to see if this happens across the board or just randomly.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
kathyth said:
Your torts are just stunning, Chris! Glad to see it is warmiing up in Maine, so they can get out.
I also love their names.
Please do keep is updated in the next enclosure.
:)

Kathy, I'm actually back in NY. Employment options were better here :D. When I start a new enclosure, I'll be sure to take lots of pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.