Lost cherryhead baby

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If you find him he may have an R.I. but that's curable. They're a lot hardier than we give them credit for.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Do you think he may still be alive? With this cold weather? I know that temps in Texas caverns are steady 70's all year long, but that's DEEP underground. Plus even 70's is too cool for a baby. I had worked so hard to make sure their temps would never fall below 80f! Have you ever seen a little 3inch baby survive a whole week beeing out in the elements?

Unless he scaled the stone fence, and is somewhere else. Poor baby! If that happened, he could have made it on the curbside, walking the perimeter. My babies did that everytime I put them on the lawn. There was a great desire to make it to the curb and walk it. That could mean he's in someone else's yard or shrubs. Btw, do you have a backyard and have you checked it?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Unless he scaled the stone fence, and is somewhere else. Poor baby! If that happened, he could have made it on the curbside, walking the perimeter. My babies did that everytime I put them on the lawn. There was a great desire to make it to the curb and walk it. That could mean he's in someone else's yard or shrubs. Btw, do you have a backyard and have you checked it?
Yes, I have a backyard, this is your typical suburb neighborhood. I've gone around the backyard and even took neighbor's dog... Thank you for staying with me all this time.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Someone else's yard or... the houses across the street back into the golfcourse and wooded area... That's where the feelings of hopelesness and giving up creep from time to time

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
I'm still hoping for you to find him. I wish I was close enough to help you search....

Have you informed local animal shelters, pet stores and vets? If someone found him, maybe they have taken him to one of these places.

Good luck and keep up good hopes!!

Pearly

5 Year Member
I'm still hoping for you to find him. I wish I was close enough to help you search....

Have you informed local animal shelters, pet stores and vets? If someone found him, maybe they have taken him to one of these places.

Good luck and keep up good hopes!!
No! Omg! Completely forgot about that!!!! Thank you for the reminder! I'll be calling tomorrow am, and there is vet clinic and petstore within a mile radius, I'll take flyers there

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Pearly, I'm convinced he's in that flower bed still. BUT if he did venture into the neighbours garden you need to check the neighbours border on the next door but one neighbours border. Not just your border with your neighbour.
Gees, hope you understood :D

Also they do endure freezing temps in some areas of South America. Not for long but it does happen. What are your temps day and night at the moment.
I would check borders 3 houses either direction from your house.

Pearly

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1454871056.844824.jpghere is my weather. It's warming up now. This past few days was cold and windy with couple of dips to near freezing at night. I''ve had the heating lamps going but don't see any signs of that nest being used

Pearly

5 Year Member
Pearly, I'm convinced he's in that flower bed still. BUT if he did venture into the neighbours garden you need to check the neighbours border on the next door but one neighbours border. Not just your border with your neighbour.
Gees, hope you understood :D

Also they do endure freezing temps in some areas of South America. Not for long but it does happen. What are your temps day and night at the moment.
I would check borders 3 houses either direction from your house.
Craig, the only "borders" are around flowerbeds so the grass doesn't grow in. All the lots are open, some neighbors have privacy or rod iron fenced in back yards but in my immediate area it's ALL OPEN... Meaning the Little Boogie could be anywhere/everywhere!

Pearly

5 Year Member
And yes, I do focus on that pansy bed but have also been looking around neighbors' lots/gardens... It's literally looking for a "needle in haystack"!

Kori5

I would search every flower pot even if I have to destroy the flowers. This has happened to me before. He went missing, we searched our garden and found him under grass camuflaged. Hope you find him, don't panic :). I'm sure he's there.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Everyday that passes, I think of your baby Tucker being out there. Don't give up hope. The days aren't as cold as I feared. He's out there near you. These lil guys can hide and you could overlook him easily. I don't know if you ever talked "baby" talk to him, but all my torts hear my talk/songs to them, and they immediately respond. If you did, you may look like a nut, but I would call/sing out there all around the neighbors yards and keep your eyes opened. He may come out to you. :)

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
all my torts hear my talk/songs to them, and they immediately respond.

The only thing that gets my torts attention is the sound of a can opener because they think it means special treats like a canned green bean or a dab of cat food. I talk to them, sing to them, scream, nothing. They are the masters of selective hearing.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
The only thing that gets my torts attention is the sound of a can opener because they think it means special treats like a canned green bean or a dab of cat food. I talk to them, sing to them, scream, nothing. They are the masters of selective hearing.

You certainly are right about that. They associate my songs with food! It's called conditioning:p

Pearly

5 Year Member
I would search every flower pot even if I have to destroy the flowers. This has happened to me before. He went missing, we searched our garden and found him under grass camuflaged. Hope you find him, don't panic :). I'm sure he's there.
Thank you for reminding me about how good they are at making themselves invisible. Yesterday late afternoon I noticed the Mazuri from the dish I had put out there was gone. I know it could have been another critter, but Tucker loves Mazuri. Mazuri was the first thing he was ever eating after weeks of starvation right after I got him. I look at some pictures of failing hatchlings people post and they remind me of what Tucker was getting to look like (skinny legs, wrinkled skin etc). I was able to get him over that "hump" and how ironic that he'd dissapear on me now. Last night was supposed to freeze. I left both 100w on over the nest...

Kori5

Could you put some kind of camera there to film that part? Maybe he'll show up. I would keep offering Mazuri and would search again and again. Keep the lamps there. Don't give up, people find their tortoises after months. I hope you find him soon.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Everyday that passes, I think of your baby Tucker being out there. Don't give up hope. The days aren't as cold as I feared. He's out there near you. These lil guys can hide and you could overlook him easily. I don't know if you ever talked "baby" talk to him, but all my torts hear my talk/songs to them, and they immediately respond. If you did, you may look like a nut, but I would call/sing out there all around the neighbors yards and keep your eyes opened. He may come out to you. :)
Thank you for staying by me, Sibi and everyone on here. It takes a lot for me to give up and I'm certainly not there yet. I was lauging when reading about the sounds you guys talked about. Yes, I talk "baby" to mine every time we interact like they can hear and understand me, right?! not as much as I would have liked though. That "closed chamber" is limiting that interaction to only feeding, cleaning and bath time but if that means that I'm raising healthy babies then it's worth it.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Hahah! Maybe that's because their eardrum is covered by scales and they can't really hear high pitched sounds. But they can hear the low pitched sounds and are great at interpreting sound waves' vibrations as to help them understand the world around them. I think that explains the can opener sound