Looking forward to my first tortoise!

ChuckK

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hello! I'm new here. I'm hoping to get my first tortoise some time in the next month. I currently live in New Mexico but there is a good chance that I will need to move soon-ish. I was thinking about a Redfoot or Yellowfoot, as they seem (from what I've read) to do well around room temperature in general. Does anyone from a bit farther north have any comments on Reds or Yellows? Or maybe suggestions for a tortoise that would do well all across the U.S.A.? I am planning on having a good turtle table for inside if I move and here I'd keep the little guy outside when he gets big enough.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Chuck!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. RFs and YFs do best in humid climates. This will be problematic where you are now, and cold temperatures will be problematic when you move North. Also I don't know where you read that they do okay at room temperature. Those are both tropical forrest species and need warmer temps around the clock.

Sounds like one of the Testudo species would better suit your environment. Look into russians, greeks, hermanni and marginated tortoises. Babies of all of those will need some moderate humidity when indoors, but they can cope with drier conditions as they gain size and spend more time in an outdoor enclosure during fair weather. These species will also be okay at room temp as long as they have a warmer basking area to go to during the day. Check this out: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/