Hi all, here for information first!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiwolfe

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
sunny southern Colorado
Hi everyone,

My name is Shiloh and I'm here doing research and learning as much as I can before getting a tort. I'm moving to New Mexico in a year and considering a tortoise in my future, but of course want to have as much knowledge as possible before actually getting one. I've been reading quite a bit already and at the moment I'm leaning toward a Leopard (Pardalis pardalis), but we'll see, plenty of time to think about it :)

Looking forward to learning more,

Shiloh

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Welcome and may we know where you live now? Do you plan to get a tort before or after your move?

shiwolfe

5 Year Member
sunny southern Colorado
Thanks everyone for the welcome :)

I'm currently in southern Colorado, planning to move to New Mexico to transfer for college and plan to stay for roughly forever :) I'm not sure whether I'll get one before I move or not, depends on how long it takes me to make up my mind (part of me says I want a sulcata, the more rational part of me says the leopard is a much better idea ;) )

I'm leaning toward waiting just to make things easier for everyone, I have 2 boys, 2 dogs and 2 ball pythons to worry about moving already. We'll see if I can remain patient that long lol

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Hi Shiloh welcome to the forum:) I see you like the number two you might have to get two tort's

shiwolfe

5 Year Member
sunny southern Colorado
Kind of funny because I have 2 (human) boys as well lol

Actually that's a good thought/question on the 2 torts. Do you think they enjoy each others company? I know with sulcatas they can be aggressive to each other and leopards are thought to be less so, but do you think it is actually positive for them? (I also realize this increases the space required and the food lol)

I'm actually planning on breeding my pythons down the road.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Hi Shiloh...Leopard...sulcata? Either way, you can't go wrong! Are you hellbent on a baby? If not, there are a lot of rescues,etc looking to adopt out!

shiwolfe

5 Year Member
sunny southern Colorado
No, I'm not hell bent on anything at this point, I just think it would be really cool to watch them grow from tiny to huge :) I was looking at a rescue here in Colorado which has a sulcata, but I'm in no way prepared to take on a big guy right now, (the other reason I was possibly considering a hatchling - at least a little time of not requiring HUGE amounts of space.

I haven't yet looked into rescues in New Mexico yet, might be an option down the road though, I'll definitely look into it.

Just found this site http://www.rgttc.org/ definitely an option for the future!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Shiloh:

Welcome to the forum!!

shiwolfe

5 Year Member
sunny southern Colorado
Thanks everyone! As I said this has to be the friendliest forum I've ever visited. Tortie people are obviously good people :D

Peacebone

5 Year Member
AZ
Welcome to the forum! One thing to consider is that sulcatas typically like to dig while the leopards don't dig very much. This is at least what I have experienced personally. But both species are great and get fairly large. Good luck on the decision! Oh yeah and post pics when you end up getting one, we love to see new additions.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
*waves* Hi! I do hope you post a picture of the Saint/bulldog combo in the pet area. :D I am curious (okay simply snoopy) what are you majoring in at college?

Status
Not open for further replies.