Lethargic Tortoise Today - Concern?

Hello. Our leopard tortoise has been acting a little off for the last day or so. We've only had him a little over a week but he's noticeably different today we think.

Last night, he dug into the substrate in one of his hides and was sleeping / resting, which he's never done (the digging part).

Today he just seems kinda lethargic. Still has strength in his feet to push off and stuff. But when we took him out for some exercise he didn't really want to crawl around like normal.

He's kept at about 75 in the cool and 95-100 under his basking light, with lots of humidity. He's about 3 inches long.

Given we've only had him a week we're not sure how concerned we should be.

He did have a poop during his soak yesterday, and seems to have eaten some of his greens today.

When he went back in, he crawled around a bit and went back to resting.

Is a lethargic tortoise cause for concern or just normal ups and downs?

Thanks!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
I would boost up his temperature, ambient, to no less than 80. And especially so if you are using the hot and humid chamber method, where it cannot be less than 80. When my Greeks were sick, I kept it at 90, but that was for Grees. He may have gotten a chill last night. I would also soak in warm water, to help bring the temps up internally. It is amazing how hot or hot cold things can get at their level. A temperature gun reading will surprise you. He may have gotten too cold last night where he was. Warm him up and let's see what happens. Keep us posted.

He had a good soak and seemed a little better. Also increased his temp to 85 outside of basking light...

Seems ok.

I also think it might just be his normal rhythm and perhaps we don't see him during the early morning and afternoon.

Maybe he's just a lump during the day...