Less scutes than normal-significance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

River14

5 Year Member
Im so relieved to hear that "Tortoise" you have no idea.

Never pay more for some arbitrary idea of mutation rarity or any ones idea of the perfect radiated tortoise or star, never. The closest to the wild norm the better.

There is no irregular baby. They are all babies and as different as you are probably to me. Its a human affliction deciding which are more lovely than the next, certainly not a little wee tortoise's just wanting to get on in the world and survive.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
it's been my experience in the past that tortoises born with irregular, split or extra scutes are absolutely no different than tortoises born "normal". Whatever normal may be since wild caught tortoises commonly have the same scute configurations that captive born tortoises do. Whether you believe it's due to incubation temperatures, air incubation quality, disturbances during the development stages, genetics or any combination thereof; it does in fact happen in the wild and captivity on a regular basis.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
River14 said:
Im so relieved to hear that "Tortoise" you have no idea.

Never pay more for some arbitrary idea of mutation rarity or any ones idea of the perfect radiated tortoise or star, never. The closest to the wild norm the better.

There is no irregular baby. They are all babies and as different as you are probably to me. Its a human affliction deciding which are more lovely than the next, certainly not a little wee tortoise's just wanting to get on in the world and survive.

With the greatest Respect River 14, I am unsure how to take your previous post.

I too have no issue with a different tortoise, It makes no difference to me in terms of cosmetics(in fact I think the differences are just unique) but I would be concerned about possible in - breeding and possibly causing or contributing to future health problems.
Yes you state there are no irregular babies- but this is this one is different and perhaps due to the environment the eggs were incubated in-therefore influenced by humans and captive conditions-we can learn from this if need be.

I wonder too if the tortoises have this occuring in wild populations-would you happen to know about that?

Louise

GBtortoises said:
it's been my experience in the past that tortoises born with irregular, split or extra scutes are absolutely no different than tortoises born "normal". Whatever normal may be since wild caught tortoises commonly have the same scute configurations that captive born tortoises do. Whether you believe it's due to incubation temperatures, air incubation quality, disturbances during the development stages, genetics or any combination thereof; it does in fact happen in the wild and captivity on a regular basis.

Thanks Gary:)
Pleased you added your thoughts.
I will worry less knowing that it occurs in the wild too, that makes a big difference to me. I think unique traits in us and all other animals are appealing and makes for a more interesting world.
Louise

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
...and now back to the fewer scutes question... This Yellow-Footed youngster, now 2+ years old, was incubated at 30° C (86­° F).

fewScutes.jpg

None of its siblings nor those from other clutches demonstrated this anomaly. It is healthy, growing well and shows no signs of less than optimal health.

Thus far there has been only one other tort I have hatched with fewer scutes than normal, it did not survive but also had multiple issues other than fewer scutes...

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
yeah we got off subject a bit but its true that all life should be appreciated but that doesnt mean if i had a clutch of eggs that i wouldnt price em all the same,OF COURSE I WOULD CHARGE MORE FOR WUT I MYSELF WOULD CONSIDER TO BE THE BEST LOOKING OR A VERY UNIQUE TORT,WUTS THE BIG DEAL ABOUT THAT..?

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
I like the uniqueness too-like the yellow foot posted here too. I did in fact get the irregular baby a few days back-I'm of course hoping it turns out to be a girl and she is doing well-this one is eating well and very active.
I'm really glad I picked the irregular one as I would have always wondered where it ended up and whether it was appreciated for its uniqueness etc.

P7160543 (Medium).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
And that one is most certainly unique! Congrats on the find!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoise said:
Here is a pic of the baby...

oo-oo-oo-oo!!!! I would snap that baby up in a heartbeat! I LOVE the irregular scute babies, and that one is perfectly symmetrical, which also pleases my sense of symmetry!!!!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
HLogic said:
...and now back to the fewer scutes question... This Yellow-Footed youngster, now 2+ years old, was incubated at 30° C (86­° F).

fewScutes.jpg

None of its siblings nor those from other clutches demonstrated this anomaly. It is healthy, growing well and shows no signs of less than optimal health.

Thus far there has been only one other tort I have hatched with fewer scutes than normal, it did not survive but also had multiple issues other than fewer scutes...

Handsome little beast! :cool:

Tortoise said:
I like the uniqueness too-like the yellow foot posted here too. I did in fact get the irregular baby a few days back-I'm of course hoping it turns out to be a girl and she is doing well-this one is eating well and very active.
I'm really glad I picked the irregular one as I would have always wondered where it ended up and whether it was appreciated for its uniqueness etc.

Where's the pics? Gotta show us the pics! :cool:

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Terry Allan Hall said:
HLogic said:

fewScutes.jpg

Handsome little beast! :cool:

Tortoise said:

Where's the pics? Gotta show us the pics! :cool:
I posted a little one that you can click on a few posts back here-not sure how to make these big pictures like the above to be honest-maybe someone can instruct me?

Thanks
Louise

Vizzle

5 Year Member
I guess not really a subspecies but a morph. A friend of mine from Elk Lake in upstate NY has been trying to breed them with one less on each side for quite some time. I don't know if he is having any success. I'm not sure about one with less down the center.

Status
Not open for further replies.