Clarification of "scutes loosening"

Status
Not open for further replies.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I want to understand exactly what "scute loosening" means so I know when/if it happens.

In an article on her site Misty Corton writes about shell care and of checking for scutes loosening (...."at the same time examine shell for any defects or signs of scutes lifting. Any loose scutes should be removed, and the area scrubbed and then allowed to dry...").

So isn't the scute one section of the carapace? Does she mean the scute itself or do you think she means like a flaking off from the scute?

She also states: "If large areas of scutes start loosening it’s a sign of trouble and you should seek vet help immediately. "
What type of trouble? Is this the same as a soft shell or a dry, brittle shell? Her site: Misty Corton at http://www.chelonia.org/articles/Mistypardaliscare.htm. Thanks!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
The only reason a scute would be loose would be from shell rot, so Misty is basicly checking for shell rot.

Danny

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks Danny - it sounded like two different things and separate conditions to check for so I was confused.

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
i have seen this with water turtles. the schutes lose a layer on the top of the shell to reveal a nice clean schute underneath. it is a way the turtle clean the shell. it shouldnt happen with tortoises though.

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Redlands, California
The material that makes up the scutes - laminae - is formed in layers, which can chip and peel away. I suspect Misty is writing about peeling/lifting laminae, which occurs more often as tortoises age. Areas of peeling or flaking laminae provide attachment points for ectoparasites and fungi, and could be more susceptible to shell rot. It's not a huge concern as long as you keep your tortoise's enclosure clean and periodically (couple times a year) give its shell an iodine scrub.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
chelonologist said:
The material that makes up the scutes - laminae - is formed in layers, which can chip and peel away. I suspect Misty is writing about peeling/lifting laminae, which occurs more often as tortoises age. Areas of peeling or flaking laminae provide attachment points for ectoparasites and fungi, and could be more susceptible to shell rot. It's not a huge concern as long as you keep your tortoise's enclosure clean and periodically (couple times a year) give its shell an iodine scrub.

Thanks for explaining in more detail. It's that iodine scrub part that I didn't know should be done on a regular basis. I have some Betadine Solution but I haven't seen anyone else on the forum discuss this as part of routine care so I wasn't sure if I should add it to our care list.

Status
Not open for further replies.