Leopard in bad condition

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Liquid calcium shots, it will be lot of money, a lot of work, with a very low chance of success. I don't say this to persuade or dissuade, just stating what will need to be done, so you have all the info to make a choice.

B_Daniel_K

I'll have to just put him down. I really don't want to, but cash is just so tight right now...

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
If you do decide to put him down maybe ask of that if you could make payments were sometimes amble shelters can do it. It doesn't cost very much. And it may be the most humane way. Just something to think about, I'm so sorry for your little Tortoise. I have never had to make this decision for my Tortoise, but I have for my dog and cat so I know a little bit what you're going through. It is never easy but just do what you can.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Have you tried getting him out in the sun? You can buy liquid calcium and use a eye dropper to force feed him the calcium and give him warm calcium soaks . My leo was the same way and Greg T turned him around .

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Dang. I don't know... If i do this it might work right?
It might work,but like I said low chance of working. You can search for the threads (a lot of them) and see how often it does and doesn't work, thenmake your choice. I have seen a lot of theee threads on here and it seldom has a good ending.

B_Daniel_K

Ok. Thanks again for the information everyone. Ill post again when it's done, maybe in a few days or so...

B_Daniel_K

Yes he's been in the sun. He has an hour of sunning 3 days a week. He eats fine, but like i said before, he just doesn't do anything without being soaked first. And his shell is about as hard as thin plastic.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I have a question that should be cleared up.Is his shell soft from being born?(they get harder over time),or is his shell getting softer, losing strength, there is a big difference between the two.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
While waiting on a response from another member. I don't have any leopard torts but I would soak him in warm water with babyfood strained carrots work great. You can also use non flavored pedialight. Add some pedialyte to soak water also Ive used about 1/2 jar of strained carrots at a time. They get some nutrition from doing this. I'm no expert by far but its worth a shot. Keep the sick baby's temp at no lower than 85° You can also purchase liquid calcium. It to can be added to soak water. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of Leos will come along soon to help.

:eek: This post was showing no responses on my computer as though noone else had replied to it. As soon as I post this ,all you members replies appeared. That's weird..:confused:

Last edited:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Eyes closed and soft shell is a bad combination.

I also think it's too late but you can always try antibiotic eye ointment, carrot baby food soaks, calcium supplements. Just to say you tried...
I'm sorry.

Please DO contact the seller. They need to know. If you get a refund, put the $ towards a Leopard baby that you can KNOW was started right.

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
I don't know if this will help but I've been trying something that I'm having lots of success with. I met the creater of it recently and have been impressed. Its helped a hatchling box turlte that has just failed to thrive. After 2 treatments he's shown remarkable improvement. He's gained weight and is interested in his surroundings. He's still 1/2 the size of his clutch mates but I no longer expect to find him dead. Its called Reptaid http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/reptaid.html You might give it a try, quickly.

If you do get another animal from LLL or anywhere else you may want to get an older one. I'm sure I'll take a beating for this and don't want to start any debate but my experience has proven torts are too fragile to be shipping hatchlings or uprooting them in anyway. I won't sell anything until they are at least a year old, sometimes I wait until 2 years.

B_Daniel_K

Ok well his shell is pretty soft, but he's only about one or two months old. Also the fact that he's lopsided might effect his shell's squishing point.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I hope not to inundate you with helpful tips, but I'll just recite my mantra for sick tortoises in the hopes it may offer some help. Keep him around 90 degrees around the clock and make sure he is well hydrated with food available at all times.

Many hatchlings are born lopsided, and most will round out over time in good conditions, so I wouldn't be too concerned with that in and of itself. It does not effect the shells hardness. Is there any sort of dark discoloration on the bottom of the shell?

compassrose26

5 Year Member
Michigan
I remember reading a thread with a lot if good information on thus a while ago... Someone was talking about carrying the baby around with them? Mods? Anyone know what I'm talking about that has a link?

B_Daniel_K

Well his shell seems to be not as squishy now that's its been a few days with the new light... He's still lethargic, but his eyes open... So yeah. I have been soaking him with the baby food carrots thing and it really works.