Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
lMorphine said:
Handsomebobsowner said:
lMorphine said:
Yeah I have a night time bulb for him. Temps are about 85 degrees

when you say night time bulb what kind ?

Eh not sure just a regular old red light

I would recommend a ceramic heat emitter, (CHE) for nighttime heat. Nighttime should be dark like the real world and I've heard some none food items look like food under red lights.

Handsomebobsowner

5 Year Member
Cowboy_Ken said:
lMorphine said:
Handsomebobsowner said:
lMorphine said:
Yeah I have a night time bulb for him. Temps are about 85 degrees

when you say night time bulb what kind ?

Eh not sure just a regular old red light

I would recommend a ceramic heat emitter, (CHE) for nighttime heat. Nighttime should be dark like the real world and I've heard some none food items look like food under red lights.
i would agree with cowboy ken even if the tortoise cant see that array of colour properly theres no point in risking it a ceramic emitter i think is best choice no light nice heat and they are quite cheap and last ages... i got mine on ebay for like 10 euro.

lMorphine

5 Year Member
New York
Thank you. Just ordered a 60 watt CHE. Hopefully with the MVB and CHE he will start tk get better

jojomo

5 Year Member
sad to hear but know how you're feeling as my babies are in the same state. very soft shells and they haven't eaten in two weeks......i've tried everything. however, if I lived in New York like you, I'd be down in the sewers hunting for T.G.R.I. goo. it would not only strengthen their shells but would also morph them into super mutant ninja freaks. hoping you understand the reference. anyways, we're so lucky to have this forum and all the wonderful people helping us out. let us know how things go and what works for you cuz i'm outta ideas.

lMorphine

5 Year Member
New York
Thank you tortiose007. Everything in that thread was covered unfortunately. I think although some minor changes were needed my husbandry was sufficient.

lMorphine

5 Year Member
New York
UPDATE:

So Im still waiting on the MVB and some other accessories but my guy has started to perk up a little with the baby food soaks and extra heat/moisture. Im keeping his temps at about 110 basking and ambient 85-89. His humidity is about 90-100%.

He walks around now but still hasnt eaten or gone to the bathroom..

I found another issue with him however. He opens one eye at some points however one eye is always closed. The eye that is closed, looks sunken into his head? It kind of looks infected? Ive been adding turtle eye drops for about 4 days now.

dar64

5 Year Member
I don't understand it either. I did have two that were getting soft. They are the ones that started to get more lively and eating better when I stopped using spring mix. I don't get it.

jojomo said:
sad to hear but know how you're feeling as my babies are in the same state. very soft shells and they haven't eaten in two weeks......i've tried everything. however, if I lived in New York like you, I'd be down in the sewers hunting for T.G.R.I. goo. it would not only strengthen their shells but would also morph them into super mutant ninja freaks. hoping you understand the reference. anyways, we're so lucky to have this forum and all the wonderful people helping us out. let us know how things go and what works for you cuz i'm outta ideas.

jojomo

5 Year Member
my guys have been having all the same symptoms, including the eyes. mine have stopped eating completely and are only slightly active when in their babyfood soaks or out in the sun. i'm also a newbie and got them around the same time you got yours only mine are redfoots. bin trying everything suggested here on this amazing forum but with no improvement. literally 15 mins. ago, while giving them their soak, i noticed mites crawling on their backs. funny cuz i have been looking for bugs around their food and water and in their substrate as this is where i first seen them when my snake had mites about 10 years ago. i've also been checking their bellies but have seen nothing until today. pay close attention to yours. they are extremely tiny and difficult to see unless you're looking. just wait to hear back from members as to what to do.

dar64

5 Year Member
I've seen little mites outside and off and on. I just thought that was part of the outdoors. what does this do to them. I don't see any on them ?

jojomo said:
my guys have been having all the same symptoms, including the eyes. mine have stopped eating completely and are only slightly active when in their babyfood soaks or out in the sun. i'm also a newbie and got them around the same time you got yours only mine are redfoots. bin trying everything suggested here on this amazing forum but with no improvement. literally 15 mins. ago, while giving them their soak, i noticed mites crawling on their backs. funny cuz i have been looking for bugs around their food and water and in their substrate as this is where i first seen them when my snake had mites about 10 years ago. i've also been checking their bellies but have seen nothing until today. pay close attention to yours. they are extremely tiny and difficult to see unless you're looking. just wait to hear back from members as to what to do.

lMorphine

5 Year Member
New York
dar64 said:
I've seen little mites outside and off and on. I just thought that was part of the outdoors. what does this do to them. I don't see any on them ?

jojomo said:

Thankfully no mites. I have 2 bearded dragons, a red ear slider, veiled chameleon, 2 crested geckos, 4 frogs, a bird and other things. All are clean. They all get sprayed too :/

jojomo

5 Year Member
lMorphine said:
dar64 said:

jojomo said:

Thankfully no mites. I have 2 bearded dragons, a red ear slider, veiled chameleon, 2 crested geckos, 4 frogs, a bird and other things. All are clean. They all get sprayed too :/

the people i most trust on this forum are telling me they are not mites and are harmless. sadly, our little guys all have the same symptoms and as much as i hated hearing it...they may not recover. has your leopard gotten any better lmorphine?? if you haven't already read tom's post here, you should. best wishes.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Hatchling-Failure-Syndrome#axzz1bv5qbbcz

lMorphine

5 Year Member
New York
Unfortunately today I found my little leo dead. Still with a piece of food in his mouth... The first Ive seen him eat. Just when I thought he was getting better. Well if anybody knows anybody on the forums breeding leos and is looking to sell, can anybody PM me their name? I think the best relief is jumping right back in. The only confidence I have is knowing it was most likely not my husbandry that caused his demise.

lMorphine

5 Year Member
New York
It sucks just wish I caught it earlier. I only had him for 2 months but it feels like forever lol

dar64

5 Year Member
I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm very concerned because I weighed one of mine and its gone from 28 grams to 22 grams. It has gotten soft on the bottom but is eating great and is active. I don't get it.

lMorphine said:
Unfortunately today I found my little leo dead. Still with a piece of food in his mouth... The first Ive seen him eat. Just when I thought he was getting better. Well if anybody knows anybody on the forums breeding leos and is looking to sell, can anybody PM me their name? I think the best relief is jumping right back in. The only confidence I have is knowing it was most likely not my husbandry that caused his demise.

jojomo

5 Year Member
so sorry to hear buddy :( i actually shed a couple tears for you because i'm almost certain my little guys are headed there as well. keep your chin up and please read Tom's link i sent you earlier before you choose a breeder. wish i had read it before did. good luck with your future leo :)

Status
Not open for further replies.