Leopard in bad condition

B_Daniel_K

I ordered a leopard tortoise from LLLReptile and received him a few weeks ago. I noticed he was lopsided(i posted about this before but I forgot my password so i made a new account...) and rather pyramided. It now seems that he doesn't ever open his eyes unless soaked, has an EXTREMELY soft shell, and is sooooooo lethargic I've never seen him move without me soaking him first. PLEASE HELP! Is this hatchling failure syndrome?

B_Daniel_K

Oh and I forgot to mention that my other leopard is doing just fine in the same exact diet, lighting, and enclosure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Sorry to say that your lopsided little baby is probably not going to make it. You need to contact LLLReptile right away and let them know the problem. You should either get your money back or trade the sick one for a healthy one. Is there an LLLReptile store near you?

If you tell me your other username, I'll have Josh combine the two accounts.

B_Daniel_K

Oh... Well... That's not good... I guess it was a smart move to order from ATC for my second Leo... anyways thanks for the info and I'll try to get LLL to trade one in. The nearest LLL store is 3 hours away... (I ordered) im in LA so maybe I can get them to trade in.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, LLLReptile is reputable, but stuff like this happens every so often.

B_Daniel_K

I guess while I'm at it i might as well ask if my setup is good.

Its a 2 x 4 wood tortoise table with one real wheatgrass plant, and two fake plants, and some ATC tortoise grazing mix growing on one side. They have two hides, and their diet consists of spring mix, mazuri, wet Timothy hay, kale, and collard greens.(occasional dandy lions from my yard are also included.) they have a powersun mercury vapor bulb and temps are 102 degrees at basking spot, 94 degrees on warm side, and 82 on cool side. Night time temps are room temperature (72 degrees) and i let them out 30 minutes a day on weekends. Since its dry here and they like it like that, humidity ranges 10-30 percent. They also have daily soaks in warm water.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Have to agree, it is refereed as hatchling failure , LLL reptile is pretty decent, they should work with you. Sad to see it happen.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wouldn't worry about trying to get them to eat hay just yet. They probably won't be interested in that until they get a bit older. Also, try to not let it get down below 75F at night.

B_Daniel_K

Ok thanks. But they seem to eat hay... I haven't needed to use any stuff like starving them until they succumb to eating hay or mixing it in with food. They just kind of like it... I have weird tortoises.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also, your temps are a little high with that low of humidity, but good if you get the humidity where it should be, then don't let the temps go below 80 day and night. They do not like it dry as hatchlings, they need 80% humidity to grow smooth and stay healthy. Please read Toms threads at the bottom of my post for the correct way of raising leopards. The sulcata threads will also pertain to leopards. Please read them.
Sorry about the sick one, hope you get some answers from LLL

B_Daniel_K

Ok. So i just misted Down their cage. I will have to constantly have to mist them maybe two or three times a day, to keep up humidity. The only reason it was so low before is that i read that Leos have lungs that cant handle high humidity...
I could use a screen from the top of and old terrarium to keep some of it in.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They suffer for a long time before they die. Just looking at the picture, I'd say maybe a couple weeks.

B_Daniel_K

Will it affect the healthy guy if he looses his roommate?
I'm not sure if they like each other or not but they seem to get along...

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Contact LL Reptile. Too bad they won't foot the bill to have him euthanized so he doesn't suffer.
In any case, they should compensate you.
Poor little guy.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I am just putting this out there. But if there really is no hope for the little one would it be appropriate to take into the vet and have him put down? I hate to see animals suffer. I hope I didn't offend anybody by saying this.

B_Daniel_K

Well i luckily i came here. Would have been a shame if i was caught off guard. Thanks all of you for the info.

B_Daniel_K

I agree. But I cant really afford it so i think ill have to let nature run its course.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
To be honest if you don't treat it, your choice, but letting nature take it's course is kind of cruel a slow and painful death, no animal deserves that,I would either treat or put it out of it's misery. It's death won't affect the other one.

B_Daniel_K

Yeah i dont want him to suffer. He's to cute for me to bear it. If there's a way to treat it though, what is it?