Need help. My leopard baby's shell turn soft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leopard

5 Year Member
My leopard baby is 4 month old. I just noticed that his shell starting to turn soft. I have UVB light in the cage. I did feed him calcium with D3 two three times a week. He eat some romaine and Mazuri diet. But not grow. Please help. Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is it warm enough where you are to get him outside for some sun. How old and what kind of UVB are you using? What's the temps and humidity? Have you read Toms threads below in my post for raising leopards? The sulcata threads will apply too.

Leopard

5 Year Member
His is a baby. I bought him from Florida. The cage is about 88 degrees. I feed him some calcium with d3 two or three times a day. I soak him every day. He still eating but not growing. Just noticed few days ago that I feel his shell turn a little soft. How to correct that? Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A baby tortoise can still go outside and should, supervised of course. Young torts do have a little bit of a give to their bottom shell, the plastron. Is it alot of give or a little? Also, calcium with d3 2-3 times a day is too much. 2 times a week is plenty
Also, you do have UVB for indoors correct?

Leopard

5 Year Member
Sorry, calcium with d3 is 2-3 times a week.
I have UVB light in the cage. When I bought the cage few month ago, seller told me the UVB light is new but she lied to me. I lost one baby in this cage because soft shell. Then I changed a new bulb. But this one starting turn soft a little. Not too much. Is there still has chance to correct it and safe his life? Thanks. Btw, I thinking about to put him outside for two hours a day, do you thing that is enough?

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
You need one side to have a basking spot of 110F and the lower end side to be around the low to mid 80's with 30-50% humidity. Also you can't just feed him mazuri and romaine. Mazuri is high in protein and as a counterbalance the calcium from the tortoises shell will be depeleted and will become soft. Mazuri is to be used in small moderations for Leopard tortoises. You need to add more variety of grasses into it's diet ASAP. Romaine lettuce should only be used as 20% of it's diet as it's considered a leafy green. Less protein the better.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The humidity should actually be 80% or higher with the temps not lower then 80, this is Toms way. He does get smooth healthy sullys and leopards with this high humidity and temps. Yes, two hours a day outside would be great. Just make sure he has water and shade so to not over heat. What kind of UVB bulb are you using? The MVB are the best ones, gives out the most UVB and UVA. Getting him outside should help.

Leopard

5 Year Member
Thank you guys. I did give him a little grass and cactus. But he does not like them. I will try give him more variaty of greens. Hope it will works

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Babcocki leopards won't really eat grass or hay at a young age, maybe not much when bigger either. My leopard is two years and unfortunately, doesn't care for cactus much either. He does love clover and all grocery greens and Christmas cactus he does like, alot.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What type of UV bulb are you using?

Does he ever get sunshine?

How was this baby started before you got it? Dry or wet?

Leopard

5 Year Member
This is G.P.P. baby, I bought him from Florida. I believe is wet area. I was told by seller of the cage when I got it few months ago that the UVB bulb is brand new but she lied to me. My other baby was died soft shell a month ago. After that I realize that the UVB not working. So I changed to exo terra. I will bring him outside soon when weather is ok. Hope he can getting better. Thanks
By the way, Tom, are you a G.P?p breeder?

rideburton87

5 Year Member
NW burbs, Illinois
I agree with the variety in diet and the fact that they dont like grasses, was definitely hard for me to get mine to eat it.. But reading Tom's threads and he suggest 70% grass I had to put my foot down and either they ate grasses or nothing at all and now I dont have a problem with feeding my tortoises grasses. Was a bit of a hassle at first but I do believe it will be worth it in the long run. Plus when I go to the store to buy different greens n stuff I only buy a piece or two n put it in a bag. Dont think that just because its sold by a bundle or head that you have to buy it all n it will just go to waste, just buy a piece or two no one will mind..

Status
Not open for further replies.