Sick tort? (lethargic & soft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lMorphine

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hi guys,

I have a very young, leopard tortoise purchased from LLLreptile about 3-4 months ago? Up until lately he has been awesome but lately he has been lethargic, and hasn't eaten that much. I think hes missed 1-2 feedings.. Today after his daily soak, I took notice how extremely soft his shell was. I could feel it between my fingers. I flipped him over and was able to push his bottom up and touch his neck.. Im very concerned and I will bring him to a vet. Am I being to nervous?

Setup:

40G breeder

Substrate: Coco fiber

Lighting: 100W Basking, and UVB.
Temps: 105 degrees on basking, 85 on cool.

Humidity: 80-90%

Diet: Mazuri Tortoise Diet and Spring Mix

Is this normal for a hatchling's shell to be so soft? I can still see on the bottom of his shell where his egg sack closed up. Anything?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: Sick tort?

They are usually a little pliable, but not real soft. The housing, temps and humidity sounds good. What kind of UVB lighting are you using? Also, does it have to go through anything like screen? The bulb needs to have a clear shot. If you can get him outside for some sunshine about, 30-60 minutes a day, that may help. I would also double check your temps just to be sure something didn't go unnoticed. Toms threads are below in my post, if you need to check them to compare. Good luck, see what others say. I wouldn't wait too long before a vet visit. Also, be sure to soak in warm water every day. Good luck, hope it all turns out okay.

lMorphine

5 Year Member
New York

wellington said:
They are usually a little pliable, but not real soft. The housing, temps and humidity sounds good. What kind of UVB lighting are you using? Also, does it have to go through anything like screen? The bulb needs to have a clear shot. If you can get him outside for some sunshine about, 30-60 minutes a day, that may help. I would also double check your temps just to be sure something didn't go unnoticed. Toms threads are below in my post, if you need to check them to compare. Good luck, see what others say. I wouldn't wait too long before a vet visit. Also, be sure to soak in warm water every day. Good luck, hope it all turns out okay.

No screen totally open. I use the repti-glo 10.0 tube uvb. I got a new one when I first got him so it should be good still. Also, he isnt opening his eyes, and I put him in warm water and submerged him and he didnt even bother to come out of his shell or move.. Quite nerve racking.

dar64

5 Year Member

From my knowledge on nutrition in greens. I have found spring mix has very little nutrition compared to a nice green romaine along with all the other healthy greens we give torts. When I switched to very green romaine as a base instead of spring mix I noticed huge improvement in their appetites and activity and mine go outside during the day.

I haven't been able to get my little ones to eat any pelleted foods. My little ones even eat grass now. I would like them to eat some pelleted food in case I travel but still no luck with that.
lMorphine said:
Hi guys,

I have a very young, leopard tortoise purchased from LLLreptile about 3-4 months ago? Up until lately he has been awesome but lately he has been lethargic, and hasn't eaten that much. I think hes missed 1-2 feedings.. Today after his daily soak, I took notice how extremely soft his shell was. I could feel it between my fingers. I flipped him over and was able to push his bottom up and touch his neck.. Im very concerned and I will bring him to a vet. Am I being to nervous?

Setup:

40G breeder

Is this normal for a hatchling's shell to be so soft? I can still see on the bottom of his shell where his egg sack closed up. Anything?

lMorphine

5 Year Member
New York

Maybe ill start other greens. A vet visit around here is minimum 100$ so he better get better after it lol

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Sick tort?

Try a dandelion flower with some leaves of the same. That bright yellow flower often is too tempting to even a long term hard to feed tortoise. Just realize the goal is to get them hooked on greens, the flowers pale in comparison to the greens nutritionally.

lMorphine

5 Year Member
New York

Hmm. Okay, ill have to go find a lawn thats untreated. My main main concern is, his shell, the fact he wont open his eyes and his activity. He doesnt even move in water anymore. I also decided to check his underside during his bath today and I found what looked like snot. It was yellow and very sticky.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Sick tort?

I've never used tube lighting. I've always used MVB's. if at all possible, can you get him out in the sun with good temps? This way, if you've been providing proper dietary calcium he'll be able to utilize it.

lMorphine

5 Year Member
New York

Its been very cold over here in NY. Nothing worth taking him out in. Im hoping by June I can start

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Sick tort?

I would definitely switch to a MVB (mercury vapor bulb) if at all possible. Those tube lights sometimes just aren't effective I've noticed. Also, try offering richer foods. Kale & collard greens are good. If your baby isn't eating, try baby carrot food soaks for a little bit. It will help your baby soak up nutrients but keep offering food.

Also- can you attach some pictures of the shell and snot-like stuff you are seeing? That might help us. Don't psych yourself out too much. It'll be ok:)

Sent from my iPhone using TortoiseForum mobile app

lMorphine

5 Year Member
New York

Thank you all. Right now he is under a double UVB. He is getting baby food soaks, new food, im rubbing his shell with vitashell ans hoping for the best. Can anyone recommend a good mvb bulb? Dont want to use zoomed or zilla.

lMorphine

5 Year Member
New York

Thank you. So my concern is he has only been under my care since march 27th. Is that enough time for the damage to be caused by me or was it something beforehand?

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States

I got a leopard tortoise from them as well, around the same time period. March 27-30 i dont remember the exact date. But My little one is still doing very well. But in actuality after learned proper care he was set up kind of wrong. He was in an open top enclosure with a heatlamp and i did spray down the cage often but I'm sure it didn't stay humid. He got a good variety of greens but no UV rays at all at the start, but he was soaked daily and he was active all that time. Now I have learned on the forum better care and he is in a closed chamber enclosure with a 100w Powersun MVB bulb, which keeps it steady 90 degrees and I pour 2 glasses of water in the morning into the substrate and the humidity stays 80%-90% most the day, I also spray him down 4 times a day. So even though mine didn't start off with the best of care on my part, he is now set up properly and mine is about 2.25 inches long, and his shell isn't hard on top or the bottom. I mean the plastron, If I pressed, it goes in a little, but its the whole plastron its not just the one spot, so I know his shell is ok and he is doing ok. :/ I hope yours gets better. I would assume ours might be from the same clutch since we got them at the same time period. I really don't think it's LLLreptiles fault, but its not necessarily yours either. Some hatchlings just don't thrive. But I think some good UV rays and sunshine will harden up his shell again. keep us updated!

lMorphine

5 Year Member
New York

Echo, thank you. I gave him his first baby food bath today.. sweet potatoes. After being in there for 2 minutes he openef his eyes, starting moving around and hopefully eating.. im gonna let him soak for 30 minutes and then offer him so canned squash. Went out and got collards, kale and other greens. I also applied eye drops

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Eye drops are good. When my babe got very sick last winter, she had her eyes closed too. She was very sick bc she did not have the MVB on her - I was using something else.

I also heard the eye thing can sometimes be caused by insufficient Vitamin D or something. I applied regular fish oil with a q tip to her eyes after soaks per someone's suggestion. That helped too along with the change to MVB, soaks and baby food.

I got the Powersun MVB too which is made by Zoomed but it was maybe $40 and its suppose to last forever. It's been great and I've seen her really thrive since I got it.
You can get em cheapest on Amazon:) if it hasn't been mentioned, CHE's (ceramic heat emitter) is good for night time heat.

Glad your baby is perking up a bit!! Keep us updated:)

Sent from my iPhone using TortoiseForum mobile app

lMorphine

5 Year Member
New York
Just placed an order for the zoomed MVB. It will be here tuesday :/. Does this bulb need to be a certain distance from the tortoise? Or can I hang it directly from the rim of the tank ?

Handsomebobsowner

5 Year Member
lMorphine said:
Hi guys,

Setup:

40G breeder

hey do you have some night time heating like a heat emitter for the tort ? basking and uvb are fine but only for daytime he might be really cold at night .

Status
Not open for further replies.