Lazy Sulcata

Outatime

Hi Guys

Been a while but need a little tort advice, my 8 year old Sully has been very lazy the last two nearly three weeks, he has not come out of his house and had his normal walk about the garden, normally he is out from about 10am to 5pm but as far as I can tell has been house bound for nearly three weeks now. I have checked on him and no injury's or anything I can see, his eyes are open and he seems ok in his house but I am a little worried. The only thing I can think that's changed is a slight cold front here in Central Florida and I mean slight, maybe the low 70's some nights and a nice breeze. Any ideas, I have had him a couple of years now just don't remember this much inactivity.

Thank you

Stu

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Stuart:

I certainly wouldn't wait any longer. Get him out of there and put him into a big container that he can't climb out of and fill up enough water to come to the middle of his sides. Leave him in there for at least 15 minutes, a half hour would be better. While he's soaking take a good look inside his house. Do you have a thermometer in there? Does he have heat for the cooler nights?

He just might need a daily nudge, with the offering of some good food, to get him going again.

Outatime

Thank you Yvonne, funny after all that time the day I posted he came out and had a stroll about the garden! Although not since, I will soak him later on and see how that goes. Thanks again

Stuart

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you have a heat source in his house? What has been the over night low temp? What has the daily high been reaching?

Soaking will certainly not hurt anything, and will likely help.

Outatime

Thank you for the reply, yes George has a heat mat/pad along with a heater on the ceiling of his house to keep him cozy at nights, sorry can't remember the name of the heater on the ceiling but it safe for him and doesn't over heat, all this on a thermostat. Think I did ok. Lows in Central Fl are maybe 70's.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm sure you know this, but it wasn't mentioned. Be sure the soaking water is warm and stays warm.