land turtles/ tortoises

Elliriyanna

5 Year Member
I am looking for land turtles or tortoises with moderate enclosure needs. For the next few years we will be in a small home where I can not have a huge enclosure.

Box turtles are a possibility, I was also looking at greeks, hermanns, and russians but most keep recommended very large enclosures that I just cant do in a spare bedroom.

4x4 would most likely be my max as I can fit that in a corner.

but I would really like to just get a rubbermaid 50 gallon stock tank and house something that way. It would be easy to clean and Would hold substrate well.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/rubbermaidreg;-structural-foam-stock-tanks-50-gal--capacity

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I am looking for land turtles or tortoises with moderate enclosure needs. For the next few years we will be in a small home where I can not have a huge enclosure.

Box turtles are a possibility, I was also looking at greeks, hermanns, and russians but most keep recommended very large enclosures that I just cant do in a spare bedroom.

4x4 would most likely be my max as I can fit that in a corner.

but I would really like to just get a rubbermaid 50 gallon stock tank and house something that way. It would be easy to clean and Would hold substrate well.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/rubbermaidreg;-structural-foam-stock-tanks-50-gal--capacity
Where are you from that you cannt give it a outside enclosure ?

Elliriyanna

5 Year Member
I do not give away my location, and it has nothing to do with my area, we rent our home so we can not go digging and such to make a proper outdoor enclosure.

Elliriyanna

5 Year Member
A 4x4 is too small for any tortoise or turtle past a few months old, maybe a year at the very most but not anything past that.

from everything breeders have told me its plenty big for a 3 toed box turtle. So I know there is at least one species.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
4x4 is big enough for a box turtle. My box turtle is in a 3x4 enclosure and has no problems with that. And my boxie is very large for a box turtle. She was captive bred though and not wild caught. I think 4x4 is a great size for one box turtle.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Box turtles thrive outdoors for the summer. Keeping them inside all year is unkind. Mine love the rain. They are active at dawn and dusk. They bask, they hunt worms & bugs, they soak. My russian tortoises can't take the rain and temperature fluctuations, but the boxies are in heaven.

An animal with a good outdoor summer habitat can spend the winter indoors in a smaller habitat. If indoors is all it gets, it needs to be bigger and better. It's harder to replicate nature indoors.

We can't help you if you don't give us a clue. Midwest? Northeast? New England? South? Florida or Texas? West coast? Pacific north west? MidAtlantic? Canada? Advice for care is going to vary considerably. No one wishes to invade your privacy, but we do want to help.

Stock tanks are good, but that particular one offers aid in climbing out.

Have you considered an aquatic turtle?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't mean to sound harsh, but in my opinion, you 'd be better off waiting until you have your own home and space for an outdoor tortoise yard before you get a turtle or tortoise. Try to put yourself in the animal's place. How boring would it be for you to be living in a closet all the time. For their mental well-being, they need space and plants.

Elliriyanna

5 Year Member
I have lived in a closet LOL. My bedroom in highschool was 4x10, I had a dresser, a bookshelf, a desk and a mattress on the floor.

I actually didn't plan on getting one now, I was seeing if it was a possibility and this just reaffirms my own thoughts, Now is not the time for a tortoise.

I have two aquatic turtles :) I have posted pictures.

I know box turtles thrive outdoors and I can offer hours a day outdoors, no its not the same as living outdoors but it can be done successfully.

Sorry I do not give any clue to my location usually.

Box turtles are still a species I may consider but tortoises are on the backburner.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I currently have a 3x3, two story enclosure for my Russian. But, I only put him in there when it's time to put him in for the night. He definitely likes his space and even paces in his 12x4 outside enclosure.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Actually, great idea, Blake.
Could you give your a tortoise a custom two-story?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hopefully, your situation will change and you can get one later.
It"s good you are planning ahead and not rushing into anything.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have lived in a closet LOL. My bedroom in highschool was 4x10, I had a dresser, a bookshelf, a desk and a mattress on the floor.

Yes, but you weren't forced to live in there 24/7, 365...forced to eat in there, go to the bathroom in there, sleep in there. A small space would be like jail for a tortoise/turtle.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I completely understand how you feel. I can't imagine my life without tortoises. But your time will come. I appreciate and applaud you for putting the tortoise first before your own wants and feelings.