Tortoise in roof stock tank year round in LA?

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
I think it would be challenging at least to keep consistent temperature of 80-84F all year round. If it heats well in winter - you'll get in trouble in summer and vice versa. I'm afraid you will freeze your tort to death (or respiratory infection) or boil it up. This could work for colder seasons though when placed on the sunny side, but you have absolutely no control over temperatures inside such enclosure.

Redfoots need high humidity (80-90%) and tolerate very narrow temperature range. I'm looking at January weather forecast in LA and think that I certainly would not let my RF to stay outside.

Would be much better to have separate enclosures. Indoors for chilly nights, cold winters and heatwaves - this could be the tank you mentioned, spiced up with correct heating and lightning. And outdoors - like a big sandbox but without sand, densely planted, well shaded - and this could be your whole roof :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Does anyone have any thoughts on me keeping my tortoise on my flat roof in a stock tank like this: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/rubbermaid-structural-foam-stock-tanks-300-gal-capacity

with shady areas and all protection, metal wire over top etc, in LA? The roof is very safe and private, she'd be outdoors year round, would this be safe?
The concept of roof top housing can work, but that enclosure is too small for anything but a baby, and a baby should be housed primarily indoors in a large closed chamber.

RFs don't do well outdoors in SoCal. Too much temperature variation both seasonally and day to night too. Its also far too dry here and they just don't do well.

If you have a RF here, it needs to be inside in a large warmed humid closed chamber.