Hm, what about wild tortoises/turtles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
This just occurred to me when reading another thread about IDing a Box Turtle. I'm sure that many of you live in areas where there are native turtles or tortoises that romp through your yards, is there any sort of health risk to your pets there?

Personally, where I live (NJ) we regularly have Eastern Box Turtles, RESs, Painted Turtles, Red Belly Turtles (this is great, since they are endangered), and Snapping turtles that wander through our yard. I'm hoping to welcome a Leopard Tortoise into my home in the next few months, and while I would of course have a secure pen for him on my lawn, I was wondering if there was anything airbourne I need to be worrying about? Obviously a wild Leo would never be in my yard, and I worry that he would be susceptible to the diseases that occur here.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would think it would be very possible. Probably not air born but if they walk onto your property. Captive bred torts/turts of different species shouldn't even be housed together. So I would build your outside area now so the wild ones can't go into his space. Then probably by the time you get your leopard, anything that may have been in there would be dead. Also cold winters would most likely kill any disease or virus off. So before it gets too warm, block off the area. Like to know what others have to say.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Tortoise pathogens spread through blood, sweat, mucus, and the like. I can't think of any that spread through the air.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
wellington said:
Also cold winters would most likely kill any disease or virus off.

Not necessarily true.

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
dmmj said:
Tortoise pathogens spread through blood, sweat, mucus, and the like. I can't think of any that spread through the air.

That's wonderful news! I am more used to small animals, and quarantine is a huge issue with them. I'm glad that it should be a little more simple with the tort. :)

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
California desert tortoises have been known to catch diseases from exotic pet tortoises, specifically Mycoplasma intracellular bacteria. Then, once desert torts become a reservoir for this disease, they can spread it back to pet tortoises again if they come in contact with them. This phenomenon is known as "spill over, spill back," meaning that the native animal was infected with a parasite from related exotic animals, but then gets blamed as a source of the disease when the parasite comes back to the exotics again. This has also been observed with ruminants (cattle, bison, and elk).

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I also agree that not all virus will die in freezing temps...some freeze but remain viable for sometimes as much as a year...and if conditions are prime even longer....

I would imagine if you build a secure enclosure (including secure from under your enclosure walls) then you should be at a great place...I mean there is no way to guarantee all variables....but doing your best is a great start :D

I mean there is always a chance a bird will swoop a slider and fly off With it and lose its grip and drop it...right into your enclosure....I know right? Sounds crazy but I have seen a great blue herron do the lift off and drop a RES....and let me tell you...that was the fastest I have ever seen a slider shuffle for shelter.....lol...(he made it:p)...

Status
Not open for further replies.